A Merry Secret

The following day, Chyna and Chastain wrapped the small series of gifts she'd had Clint fetch from town in thin brown paper

The following day, Chyna and Chastain wrapped the small series of gifts she'd had Clint fetch from town in thin brown paper. It was a noisy process.

"How much did you spend on this?" Chastain asked. Chyna shrugged her shoulders, "nothing." she hummed.

"Caps gift was given to me by Benny and Jon. I made everyone else's." She said. Chastain could look at her sister's face and tell she was very pleased with herself.

"So where's mine at then? no gift for sister dear?" Chastain teased.

Chyna gave her a coy smile, "I wouldn't pack that away in front of you." She said. 

Chyna's fingers worked carefully to tie the twine of thing rope into a bow to hold the paper together. This package wasn't very large or thick and could be held with both hands. Chastain gazed at it in confusion, she'd seen it before the paper went on and she just didn't understand.

It didn't seem to fit the wild man who was little more than a mountain outlaw.

"Why that gift?" Chastain asked.

A soft smile spread across Chyna's face, "because he don't never do nothin' for himself or tend to the things he likes." Chyna ran her fingers along the gift, "I think Cap will like this." she mused.

"Did you bake it?" Cap's voice chimed as he entered the cabin, the door slamming behind him.

Chyna nearly jumped out of her skin, "Cap! Were you eavesdropping?" she scolded.

"No, but I heard the tail end." He chuckled. 

Striding over to Chyna he removed his gloves and kissed the top of her head.

"Where's Cotton and Clint?" Chastain asked.

"Clint went with Cotton to go an' find another tree 'cause Cotton Top wanted another one in his room." Cap sighed with a shake of his head.

"Can you didn't go?" Chyna questioned.

Cap's words came out in a strained growl, "Trust me, they'll be safer without me." he heaved a sigh and lifted his hat to scratch his scalp, "They got my gawd damn photo on ev'ry post in several towns over." he grumbled.