Smoke Before The Blaze

Cap was in the best mood of his life

Cap was in the best mood of his life. He had been making Henery and French uncomfortable with all the whistling he was doing. While Cap had tried to hide it for years, it wasnt hard for them to guess why he was so happy. Everyone opted not to ask him questions they really didnt want answers too.

This bright mid morning Anse's workers were moving fast, all but Selkirk McCoy who arrived late dragging a little. He was to tired to worry too much about being late. However, Anse had been a bit touchy after his brothers pasing and was stricter with his workers.

"Hey, hey Selkirk where you been. You're late" Anse called out to him,  Cap glanced over at Selkirk, maybe he should have warned him that Anse's feathers were in a bit of a ruffle after their conversation. "You been drinkin?" Anse asked him. Selkirk shook his head groggily "no sir" he said. Anse popped his pipe back in his mouth "you ws sleepin?" Anse asked. Selkirk faught off a yawn but nodded "yes sir". "Alright, but im gonna hold back 25 cents" said Anse.

Selkirk nodded and got back to work. Taking up a pitchfork the went to rake the dried twigs away from the piles of chopped timber. In his tired state he didn't notice all the flies buzzing about or the strange liquid that muddied the ground. Tossing the pitchfork to the side Selkirk went to start moving the logs to be cut into thinner pieces. "Twenty five cents? Damn..." Selkirk muttered.

Bending over, the smell hit his nose and Selkirk started to gag. He noticed the flies, the muddy earth, but more than that he had found something that caused him to do a double take. A chill of horror rolled through his body.

"Anse!" Selkirk shouted, his voice tired and hoarse.  "Anse!" He called again trying his best not to toss his biscuts, not over the smell but for the nearly exposed skull.

Anse and Jim ran towards Selkirk, most of the men had taken up the hills to start choping. Selkirk's cries. Caused Cap to turn back and investigate. Cotton on his heels. Cap froze as he watched Anse and Jim pull the body from behind the logs.

He couldn't recognize him at first, just a bit, but it made his feet unwilling to move any closer. "It can't be?" Ran through his mind. Anse and Jim lifted the body and placed it in the empty log transport cart as carefully as they could. Jim glanced at Anse both stunned and furious.

Selkirk was green about the face, Cotton quickly scurried over to rub his nack as he vomitted. Chyna had did it for him a few times and he was proud that he knew how to help. Selkirk thanked him inbetween purdging. Cotton grinned but looking down noticed a pile of crumpled pappers.

Cotton remembered seeing papers like these sometimes around town. His Pa and Uncle Jim used to look at them every now and then. He stopped rubbing Selkirks back and gathered the papers up in his arms.

Cap circled around the cart, a numb feeling in his arms and heaviness in his legs. He couldn't take his eye off of Skunk Hair, mind refusing to take it in. He stopped next to his father who stood leaning on the cart next to Jim. Elias, Selkirk, French, Alex Messanger and Lark gathered around as well. French removed his hat and held it to his chest, closing his eyes.