Chores to Do

Ellison was sure to get Chyna back to the farm quick, after having her publicly speak up against her former McCoy employers. She helped pick weeds out of the harvest plots before waiting on instructions as to which crops were ready to harvest.

The day was nearly gone, it was around 5 in the afternoon. None of the Hatfields had been up to the timber fields for too many had their own crops and livestock to tend to, while Anse had to make another visit to his elder brother Judge Wall. This time for the murder of his Drunken Employee Bill Staton. Paris and Sam McCoy had shot him down in the woods not long after he had made some comments to them in a bar.

Chyna was glad she had missed that. But a majority of the Hatfields considered Bill family so no one was letting this by lightly.

Chyna sighed to herself as she pulled a weed out of the lush dirt. She didn't like the feelings she was getting from all of this. "they'd never liked each other as long as I remember" She thought to herself, tossing the weed in a small burlap bag. "but its never been this" she thought gripping another one.

"hey you out here all by yourself?" Cap called from behind her. Chyna nearly jumped out of her skin with fright. Cap laughed. "William! I-I mean Cap!" Chyna barked, he chuckled some more. "well sorry, how ways I s'posed to know you'd get a scare like that?" He asked. Chyna settled down and sighed "what'cha want?" she asked going back to work. "I still got about a handful of days before Pa lets me back to work an' I'm still bored" He said. Chyna pulled another weed "so go find Tom he should be up at the logging site" She said. Cap kicked the dirt and shoved his hands in his pockets "No he aint, he's up in town waiting to hear sentencing 'bout Bill's murderers" Cap huffed. Chyna looked up at him and pointed at his bandage "so technically you can take that thing off now, I ain't wanna say it but it makes you look foolish" she said. "was you even listen'n?" He asked, Chyna nodded "sure I was, just trying to change the subject. I don't care for all this McCoy business. It ain't right and it feels bad" Chyna sad as she stopped pulling the weeds for a moment. She looked down at her hands.

"I worry for ya' Hatfields. Randal ain't all there no more. He's dangerous, his kin is dangerous too" She said, turning her eyes to Cap she pointed at him "and so is your Pa if in they make him mad enough" She warned. Cap walked to her and stooped down " we can take old feeble Randal McCoy, I ain't ascared of his sons and nephews either. Bunch of blowhard Hornswagglers all of 'em" He said

Chyna remained quite and kept picking weeds. "wheres Cot?" Cap asked. Chyna smiled "napping, he helped me tend to all the animals earlier and going to the trial took a lot outta him" She said. Cap nodded and silence fell over them. "don't Johnse need your help with the corn?" Chyna asked. Cap shook his head "no, Uncle Elias and Uncle Jim helped out before Pa left" He said.

Chyna wiped the sweat from her forehead and looked at Cap with a heavy sigh "you really aint gotta thing to do" she said dryly. Cap knitted his brows together in offense "you ain't want me here?" He asked. Chyna reached out for another weed "I didn't say that, just if you are gon' be here. Make some use of yourself" she said pointing to a patch of weeds. Now I am almost done, just help me pull those" she said. Cap followed his finger and reached out towards the weeds. He pulled at it a couple of times and it didn't want to move. "the hell?" Chyna heard him mutter. Cap then grabbed at it with both hands and tugged, the weed ripped from the earth and Cap fell back on her behind. Chyna snickered.

"it ain't funny!" He called sharply, his embarrassment over it only caused Chyna to laugh more. "y-yes it is!" she giggled. "no it aint!" he barked back. Chyna nodded her head in her laughter and eventually Cap smiled and watched her "fine, jus' don't tell nobody 'bout this" He warned with a stern voice. "not a soul" Chyna said through her laughs.