Battlezones

Cap road through the night, his blood pumping with excitment, he could pull it off - he just knew it

Cap road through the night, his blood pumping with excitment, he could pull it off - he just knew it. After all he had the devil's tongue when it came to talking his way into things. Or at least that's how he liked to think of it.

"It's full proof" he mutter giving Pardon a pat on her neck.

Morning had a slow rise, Chyna fixed Cotton and herself a small breakfast. She could not sleep and found herself exhuasted. Dreading the long ride to town, and working down at the Saloon, Luella pushing her for details on Jon and the land and asking for any updates on Johnsey and Nancy.

That name made her sick and green. Nancy. Chyna wasn't sure if she was mad or just hurt. The feeling was much too strong to tell outright. But it made her heart hurt. The more she thought about it, the more she noticed - she and Nancy were never friends. Nancy wasn't being nice to her but making sure she was taking care of her property. Nancy did alwayd take pride in the things she owned.

As a child Chyna was her doll, Nancy liked to dress Chyna up in her old clothes and brush harshly at her hair, trying to snatch the thickb, soft, yet coarse mass into a bun and parade her around her friends. As they got older, things didn't change Nancy took Chyna everywhere, parading her around being kind when no one was looking and demanding when all eyes were on her. Chyna was free then but there was still a since of power and status if you had a negro at your call.

Chyna realized she was naive in the way she had thought back then. Nancy was never her friend, so in a way nothing had changed and nothing was lost. There was no reason to be sad, Chyna narrowed her eyes as she sat the eggs before Cotton at the table. All that hate Nancy held for Jim Vance, and she was no better, she hated the Hatfields so much she was willing to destory something - someone she saw has hers just so they couldn't have it.

"Then why is she with Johnsey..." Chyna muttered in soft confusion. A cold shiver rushed through her viens, she didn't like it, it was like ice water in her blood. "Cotton, we're going to go on a trip today." She said slowly. Cotton smiled bright "really where too?" He asked. Chyna side glanced, it wasnt a good idea...it was a horrible idea but something about that place, she knew it would help her think. "Across the Tug, we'll take Clint with us, maybe Robert E. an' Billy too. Jon will look after Iris for a while." Chyna said.

"I wanna visit miss Iris!" Cotton cheered, Chyna smiled softly and ruffled Cotton's hair "yes, yes thats real good. You'll stay with Iris and Jon." She said. Of course it would be safer for him there rather than with her on Kentucky soil.

"We'll leave in jus' a bit" she said going off to prepare the horses.

Logan sat atop his horse with a bored expression. He looked over Ransom Bray and Frank Philips as they waited near a old run down shack deep within the West Virginia woods. It was a pale early morning the hazy rays of sunlight gently warming the cold leaf littered earth. It was still and silent, it seemed the birds did not want to sing in their presence.