Rain Water

That night it rained, Chyna was sleeping in back room behind the kitchen. It was the furthest space from Ellison's room. She lay there on blanket padding watching the night rain. She thought about what had happened as she waited to hear all the noise stop in the house. Then she could carefully make her way back to her shed.

As she thought about the event prior she found her heart beat was so fast she thought it would fly out of her chest. She'd never felt that way, about a non-negro man being so close. Her cheeks got hot again and she shook the thought back, she wanted to forget it. Things like that didn't end well for either parties.

Soon the thought about Anse timber fields came into mind. Why would those men have wanted to burn Anse's lands? And what if they came back? The Hatfield's had already done so much for her, even if it was done with a bit of a cold edge. She wanted to protect their most important thing. But she was sure Ellison would not let her back up in those woods. Not alone anyway and now she wouldn't dare drag Cotton up there with her.

Chyna gave a heavy sigh, it wasn't easy caring about the back of other people. She didn't know what it was about the Hatfield clan, but something about them made you loyal to them.

"Even that hateful Jim Vance" Chyna thought to herself. They weren't bad people, they just didn't like Negros, which wasn't much different from half the others down in those parts.

But now that she thought about it, same could be said for the McCoys. Sally, Tolbert's mother, was a very sweet lady. She didn't treat Chyna half as kind as Levicy did. But Chyna had seen how she treated other whites, so she knew she had a good big heart. It was her sons that there vile, to everybody, or nearly everybody and even then it was just Tolbert mostly. With Calvin following blindly behind his brother.

Chyna gazing blankly into the rain from the back room grimaced, as she could remember how it felt to have Tolbert pin her down into the hay, the bruises he used to leave around her wrists and arms. Waking up and working while feeling as if her insides would fall out to the ground. She became cold, and a shiver ran down her spine.

"you ain't there anymore..." she whispered to herself.

Soon, Chyna could hear heavy footsteps, heavy clumsy footsteps. Which could only be Cotton.

Turning to look over her shoulder there Chyna saw him, arms full of blankets a big smile on his face. He scatted her about the floor next to her and sat down. "Cotton what'cha think you're doing!" Chyna said in a hushed raised voice. Cotton smiled "keeping you company, pa said you didn't have to stay all back here, it's warmer further in. I was just figuring you'd be lonely and a'scared after what happened today" Cotton said. Chyna wanted to chuckle. But instead smiled "you here to make me feel safe?" she asked hiding her amusement. "yep" He replied proudly. Chyna sighed and shook her head. She couldn't say no to the child hearted Cotton. "well I thank you than" She said. Cotton beamed and lay body with away from Chyna who turned her back to him and let out a long sigh. Now how was she supposed to sneak out?

Maybe Cotton was a heavy sleeper. Most children were.

"Hey Chyna?" Cotton asked timidly. Chyna tried to stay quiet, maybe he would think her sleep.

"Chhhh-yna?" He called out. Nope that wasn't gonna work, of course he would just keep at it. Chyna sighed and turned to face him. "yes Cotton?" she asked. Cotton smiled for a moment and then looked off to the side. "Do you like my Pa?" He asked. Tapping the wooden floors with his fingers. Chyna watched him confused and blinked a few times. "sure I do, the both of you. You're very kind to me. And let me work here for the roof over my head" She said. "you saved me from Tolbert's hounds" She added with a smile.