Autumn Rain

Cap rode his horse through the trees,  it wasn't long before he came up on Chyna

Cap rode his horse through the trees, it wasn't long before he came up on Chyna.

"hey! Hey! Here take my hand" He called hand stretched far. Chyna came to a halt and and rested her hand in his.

With a tight grip and a careful tug Cap managed to swing her up behind him.

"smokes getting darker " Skunk Hair muttered looking between the treetops where blue sky once was, now a dusty gray.

Chyna gripped the sides of his jacket as they rode off at the horses top speeds.

Through the woods and over hills Ellison's farm was coming into view.

"oh no" Cotton gasped. Once close enough Chyna slipped down from the the horse.

Levicy and her girls were working fast to retrieve buckets of water from the well and try to keep the flames under control. It wasn't working well.

When the boys dismounted Cap and Skunk Hair immediately went to help wet the flames.

Chyna's eyes darted over the house. The flames had taken over the rooms and the living room was going up slowly.

Her eyes lingered on the front door. Drawing In a deep breath and exhaling slowly she turned to Cotton and gave a weak smile.

"I want you to stay right here an don't move now where " Chyna said gently, she gave his shoulder a pat and darted off to the well.

She took up two buckets and scurried towards the house.

Levicy looked at her with confusion as Chyna rose the bucket over her head.

That confusion melted away as there water poured down Chyna's body. She did the same with the second bucket.

"you can't go in there you'll burn up like an old tinderbox" Levicy said shaking her head.

Chyna glanced back at Cotton "that boys lost his mama and his pa, and now his house. I will save him something - anything." Chyna said before darting towards the door.

"Ma! W-what in god's name are you letting her do! " Cap shouted from the well.

"I ain't letting her do nothing she is doing it herself" Levicy snapped before continuing to dump water on the house.

Cotton covered his ears with his hands and shut his eyes tight. Maybe if he couldn't see it and prayed hard enough it would all just stop.

"Chyna!" Cap called seeing her figure make her way around the flames from the sooty window.

Coughing Chyna covered her mouth with her sleeve. The heat made her eyes burn and the wet clothes on her body were drying up fast.

She made her way to Cottons room, zeroing In on a large chest.