One Crossed the River

Chyna paced with restless feet and hands rubbing her shoulders

Chyna paced with restless feet and hands rubbing her shoulders. Her eyes glued to the door.

Elias had called Rutherford back and he, Anse, and Levicy where shut inside the room with Ellison.

Cotton sat in a chair at the table and watched as Chyna walked her circles. Cotton wished she'd stop as she was making him dizzy and sick.

Chyna stopped dead in her tracks as the doctor and Levicy exited the room. Rutherford shook his head and quietly left out the house.

Chyna turned to look at Levicy who gave a great big sigh before crossing her arms. "Ma'am...What was wrong?" Chyna asked hesitantly.

Levicy looked to her and averted her eyes. "Nothing, guts all torn up, can't eat none without pain latter" she muttered.

Chyna felt her blood chill, closing her eyes she shook her head, paced once more and then sat down in a chair near Cotton. She touched her hand to her forehead.

"I'm not this gosh dang dumb, I'm not. Of course I shouldn't've made him eat so much...." Chyna muttered to herself softly.

Levicy made her way up the stairs and left Cotton and Chyna to themselves.

A cold silence settled in the house.

Meanwhile, just on the other side of the door, Anse gazed down at Ellison from the foot of the bed.

"Listen - What I said, a few days pass," Anse sighed heavily and removed his hat "I hada outta not said."

Ellison watched Anse patiently, listening while trying to muster up the words from his throat.

Ellison shook his head and managed a smile. Anse exhaled and relaxed at the small act of forgiveness.

It was quiet for a moment and then the two brothers locked eyes. It was a long stare down. Anse's eyes had became cold to the persistent pleading shine of Ellison's eyes.

Anse would grimace or shake his head while Ellison would squint or clench his teeth. It was an odd and uncomfortable conversation - confrontation without words.