Daddy Dearest

Inside of Chyna and Cap's cabin home, Iris paced about in angry circles

Inside of Chyna and Cap's cabin home, Iris paced about in angry circles. She wrung the rag she'd been washing the dishes with, so tightly her palms turned red. Clint quietly poured some milk into a glass for Chyna she ate her soup in silence, letting all she had told them sink in.

"She wasn't trying to be cruel." Chyna said, watching the steam rise from the bowl. "She was only doing what she thought was best for her son." Chyna sighed. 

"That Fusty woman hit you, you serious? wasn't trying to be cruel!" Iris cut in.

"There is a long rope between what's safest and what's best." Clint said. "Sit down Iris, you'll make us all dizzy." He offered to the angry woman behind him. Iris walked her circles still "I can't, if I don't I will will march right up that mountain and get my self killed dragging her 'round the floor!" Iris howled, she threw her rag to the round and stomped it under her feet.

"nobody, of no color, gender, relation, or anything else. gotta right to look at woman and tell her own to handle the thing inside her. ain't right, its something between she and him that made it." Iris ranted. "not a soul looked at her aging  ass and tol' her she shoulda kept them knees locked together tight!"

"Iris!" Clint called out, "well its the truth!" Iris said in a shrill yell. Her cheek rosy with anger. "even so, the whole world don't need to hear you sayin' it!" Clint called.

Iris threw her hands in the air and went to it in the rocking chair near the fire. 

Chyna sighed, "I was mad too, even still...I can see where she is comin' from. I'm worried about all the same things. I'm scared too. But I've learned somethin'" Chyna said.  In the back of her mind she could see honey brown eyes, looking clear through her "Pushin' things away jus cause its easier,  don't mean any less pain or any less work. all it means is, yous a whole lot less happy in the meantime." Chyna said, glancing over her shoulder she peered into the open door of the master bedroom, into the nook in the mountain wall.

"you haven't told him yet?" Clint asked, Chyna shook her head, and ate her soup. "no, I will...in the mornin' I think he and I both are too tired for any news tonight." She said. "besides, you two'll be stayin' the night. I wouldn't want to put you through an overly excited Cap." Chyna laughed lightly.

Iris let out a chuckle herself "in more ways than one I'm sure." she said, "I plan on bein' long gone from here too. gotta leave early to get back home in time." Clint said. Chyna gave him an apologetic smile "sorry, I've been so wrapped up in feelin' bad for myself. Hows fixin' the house goin?" Chyna asked. Clint gave a wide smile. "that ol' shack of a house was built by our grandad, it survived better than I thought it t'would. Just needed a few planks replaced, foundations fine. Ol' Anse says I can use the scrap wood from the timber mill." Clint said.

"Anse said that?" Chyna asked, Iris and Clint looked to each other, "yeah, Clints been workin' longer hours at the Timber. You know folks is not showin' up for work. the men is scared, bounty hunters and pinkertons show up by the bushel down there lookin' for Hatfield's." Iris said.