Now's About Time

Chyna awoke with a dull cutting pain in her cheek

Chyna awoke with a dull cutting pain in her cheek. Her eyes slowly opened and as she sat up, Chyna pulled a Chess piece from her face. She looked across the table, Cotton had gone.

"Where'd that boy get off too?" Chyna wondered. He knew better than to just up and leave...then again he was very forgetful at times.

Chyna sighed and started to put the chess board away. A deep frown found its way onto her face, just now awake and her mind was already flooding with so many troubled thoughts. Where was Cap? How long would Jon be willing to wait? Had anyone else been caught? And then there was Chastain, was she really her sister.

Chyna's eyes wandered over to the pine box which she'd left sitting over the harth. Not the safest place for anything made of wood she had to admit. Maybe part of her wanted something to happen to it, she wasnt so sure she could take anymore change. She was good at adapting, she had to be - but things were starting to become too much lately.

Chyna sighed and started to get dressed for the day. It had been a long while since she'd checked on Iris, she would head there today - she owed her that much. Chyna swept the cabin before preparing to leave, still no Cap. With a sigh, Chyna left a basket of food on the table and left.

"Now Lue - you can't tell nobody!" Cap said in a quiet hiss as he talked with Luella in one of the rooms at the Saloon. "I ain't gonna tell! For the tenth time!" She shouted back. Cap glared at her "sssshhhhh!" He hushed. Luella rolled her eyes. "You better stop worryin' about what it is I ain't gonna say and go on and get home." Luella said with a smirk.

Cap smiled a bit, and dropped hounding Luella. He fixed his hat to sit right on his head and left the room. She was right, he had already sent Robert E. To tell Cotton to head for Clints with a the message. He just hoped Cotton wouldn't forget it.

Chyna arrived at Clints home and was greeted by the group of children. They clustered around her all at once, words flying out of their mouths too fast for Chyna to understand.

Chyna giggled "awlright, good lord - deep breaths!" She said. "Kids off to the stable! Remember she expects it nice 'n tidy by the time supper roles 'round!" Clint called out. The kids bolted. Chyna watched them bewildered "what was all that fuss? And why so eager about cleanin' a stable?" She asked heading for the door.

Clint gave a wide smile "well-" before Clint could get a solid word out, Cotton's laughter could be heard from inside the home. "You cant get up an' do all that just yet! You just come outta your head! Gotta make sure yous stay that way a while first." He said.

Chyna looked up at Clint, mouth stuck in a gasp "Iris?" She asked hopefully. "Late last night. Jus' snapped right out of it. Jon made her some kinda powders and then -" Clint snapped his finger "she was back, sobbed for an hour but slowly got to talking after that." He added, leading Chyna inside. "The mans the smartest colored man I've ever seen..." Clint said.