13

Oshun's heart leaped out of her chest when knuckles rapped against the other side of her door at nearly two in the morning.

Light snores came from Forest as she buried herself in the sheets.

"Forest," Oshun called out, voice thick with sleep.

Snores.

"Forest." Oshun grabbed a throw pillow and chucked it at her roommate's bed.

Snores.

"Forest." Oshun's voice was louder and she threw another pillow at her friend's bed.

Snores.

Oshun unleashed a strangled sound of annoyance under her breath and sat up. She threw the blankets off herself before getting to her feet. She hauled the throw blanket around herself before crossing to the door.

She unlocked it and closed her fingers around the knob to tug the door open. Through her sleepy vision, she saw a tall ginger standing there in a tight T-shirt and baggy sweatpants.

"Did I wake you?" Fred said in a hushed voice, sounding as though he hadn't been asleep.

Oshun blinked at him. Waited a quick millisecond for her vision to clear as she stood there with the blanket enveloped around her. She cocked an eyebrow up at him.

"Right, sorry." He cleared his throat awkwardly and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

She tilted her head at him and waited for him to say something, about why he felt the need to wake her in the middle of the night.

"Can we talk?" His hand came to the back of his head, scratching it as he jutted his chin out of the dorm.

Her eyebrows furrowed, confused.

"Please, Takahashi." He sounded so wan.

She nodded at last and slipped on some slippers before exiting her dorm. She shut the door behind her and hugged the blanket tighter around her.

The two walked side by side down the girls' dormitory corridor, and then he let her walk first down the stairs. The common room was empty, the fire's shadows flickering upon the walls of the room.

"Let's walk around the castle," Fred suggested, tilting his head at the common room entrance.

Oshun nodded and followed the boy.

They strolled in a bit of a silence down the empty, dark corridors. It was a comfortable silence.

"I wanted to explain why I've been avoiding you." Fred shattered the silence, keeping a low tone.

And it was true. She noticed he had been avoiding her, but she just never knew why.

She had a feeling that Hermione was being that protective girlfriend—as Fred called it—ever since that rumour of Draco and Fred fighting over Oshun got around.

"Mhm?" Oshun hummed, pushing her hair out of her face with her blanketed arm.

But before Fred could speak once more, the sound of giggles and whispers filled the empty corridor to their left.

Oshun looked up at Fred, eyebrows furrowed, and he looked just as puzzled. He put a hand on her lower back and pushed her in front of him, so they could hide behind the wall to prevent being spotted.

She tapped his arm, lifting her chin in the direction of the left corridor.

He towered over her and moved his head above hers to peek over the corner in the left corridor.