70

Oshun burst into his dorm and her heart jolted in alarm.

Draco's body was slumped against his dresser with his head lolled to the side. His eyes were closed and his hand was limp over his wound, his other hand limp in the pool of blood around him.

The clothing from his stomach and below were drenched in blood. Dried blood splatters were around his mouth, some blood dried on his chin.

"Draco!" she cried out, and slammed the door shut before running to him.

She slid onto her knees, right into his blood. Her hands cupped his face and she repeatedly called for him, but no response.

She felt his pulse. It was dangerously weak.

She gently removed his hand from his wound and she could tell it was deep by the amount of blood that spilled from it.

Her heart was jack-hammering in her chest and beating like drums in her ears, clouding her mind and preventing her from thinking.

The blood was rushing to her head and she felt suddenly dizzy. Tears blurred her vision. Her hands were shaking furiously from distraught and her sickness and the sight before her.

"Okay, okay," she said, exhaling shakily. "Okay." Her hands refused to steady as she placed them over his wound, one on top of the other.

Using your powers can worsen your health.

"I need to," she responded to the voice in her head. "I ne—" Her voice broke off. "I-I need to."

She pressed her hands tightly over Draco's wound and took a deep, unsteady breath. Every time she inhaled, the smell of copper swarmed her nose.

It's going to kill you, Oshun.

"It's okay." Oshun's voice wavered as she shook her head. A tear slipped from her eye and then more slipped down. "It's ok— okay. I can— I-I can do this. He has more— he has more reason to live. I'm already dying."

She closed her eyes and forced her bottom lip to stop quivering. A useless move, really.

You're shortening your life more than it already is.

"I know." She nodded and inhaled a sharp breath, telling herself to get her shit together. "But I need to. He— he needs to live."

She took deep breaths, the next one more wobbly than the first.

Focus, she told herself.

It'll kill you.

Ignore the voices, she told herself.

You'll die sooner.

Focus.

You're fucking up your health even more.

Focus.

You're killing yourself.

Focus.

Less time with Fred.

Focus.

Less time with your mates.

Focus.

Less time to live.

Focus.

No more laughs and smiles.

Focus.

No more I love yous from Fred.

Focus.

No more love.

"Shut up!" Oshun shouted in aggravation with a falter in her voice, nearly sobbing. "Come on!"