67

Oshun,

Come home.

Yours truly,
Mama

Oshun was growing familiar with being disappointed and having the wind knocked out of her, but this was a different feeling.

It was like every molecule in her body weighed down and vanished into nothing. Her breath was lost in her lungs and her entire being was numbed by the letter she had just received.

The letter only had two words, but she knew what they meant. She knew the weight that those words carried. She knew the meaning behind those simple words.

There was no cure.

She knew she was dying, but perhaps a small part of her was hopeful that there was a way to save her.

Her hope was let down. Not even let down. It was like her hope was a small candle lit in a storm, but it was hidden under a cover to protect the flame. Strong winds picked up and blew the cover away. Quicker than a blink of an eye, rain poured over the small flame and killed it. Everything turned into darkness and coldness and defeat.

But she refused to even let her bottom lip quiver because Forest was in the dorm, asleep. Fred was in Oshun's bed, asleep.

Oshun tore the letter with trembling hands and dropped it into the bin.

She never slept alone anymore. She either slept with Draco in his dorm or hers, or with Fred in her dorm or his. It was the feeling of their presence and comfort she sought for when she slept.

She forced herself to keep her shit together and not break down. She got back into bed and lifted Fred's upper body, so he could sleep on top of her.

She inclined against the propped pillows and he slept between her legs. His face cuddled into one of her thighs and arms hugged the same thigh. Her hand slid down his chest, tracing lines and what not as he slept.

It's okay, Oshun, she told herself, You knew it was coming.

Now you just gotta be strong and savour your time with everyone. Make the most of it.

Don't tell anyone because you don't want a pity-party, right? No last days full of pity.

She ignored the fact that she was going to have to break her promise to Draco. She always kept her promises. This would be the first promise she'd broken. With no choice, of course.

She had promised she wasn't going to leave him, but that didn't depend on her own choice now.

_____

When Fred woke, he'd left to go to his dorm to get ready. She kissed him before he left and when she was by herself, she apparated home.

By the time she got to her house, she smelled coffee and something sweet. She shut the door behind her and only then did she notice the tremor running through her fingers.

Her tongue swiped across her lips and she kicked her shoes off. She padded to the kitchen, wringing her fingers as she tried to compose herself.

"Hi, Mama." Her voice sounded so empty, so small and hollow. "Papa."

"Hey, Bug." Bryson made his way towards his daughter after placing the matcha cake onto the stove. His thick arms wrapped around her and he embraced her. "How'd you sleep? You could've come whenever."

"I slept okay." She nodded and leaned into the warmth her father always had.

Gwen then hugged Oshun, way too tightly. It just confirmed the news Oshun knew it was. No cure.