Chapter 63

"What! There must be some misunderstanding, I am already married" Shvet tried to smile faintly, not able to digest the shock. "Putra, whatever they are saying is true, your wedding is indeed fixed with rajkumari Drishti" Sudeshna confirmed. Shvet stared at her dumbfounded, how can his mother do this without his knowledge. Did she forget her love for her son, while doing the duties of a queen. "Why mata?" Was all he could say, "Because putra,  Meenakshi was touched by another man before her wedding with you. In future she would have to be your queen, if you don't marry a second time. What if our citizens don't accept her or your child as heir, what would we do! Same condition had arised when you were born, because I was a Suts .  I don't want that to happen to my grandchild. That's why I had sent you to Kulinda to keep her away from you.  Though she and her family says that her modesty wasn't violated, but how can-" before she could complete Shvet cut her.

"Enough mata! Enough of insulting of my wife, enough of creating distance between us! She had been doing so much for our family, for our kingdom and all you see is her past" Shvet's voice had raised, beyond his usual tone. Vedangi who was standing besides him, held his hand into hers. Shvet lowered his gaze and squeezed her hand a little, her simple gesture was enough to imply her care for him. "I want to say something" Drishti said gaining everyone's attention, "I don't want to get married with Yuvraj, nor I want to be putra vadhu of maharani Sudeshna" she declared.

"But putr-" her father tried to interrupt, "Pita, Bharata you really want to get me married in a family where the mother-in-law, insults her putravadhu I'm front of everyone? I am presence of their allies?" She questioned. Her brother agreed," Can we please leave for home Pita, I am feeling very uneasy here" she was about to exit the chamber, when she saw Karna and Shon standing at the door, glaring hard. The Kulinda family joined their hands in front of him and left. Karna glared angrily at Sudeshna, making her flinch a bit. His gaze shifted towards Shvet, who was trying hard to control his emotions, his eyes held betrayal and guilt.

"Angraj that-" Sudeshna tried to speak, but a hard glare from Karna made her lower her gaze. "Don't compel me to cross my limits please maharani. You are my daughter's in-laws, I want to respect you. Jo hua vo agar phir se na dohraya jaye toh bohot accha hoga. Yadi meri putri ki aankhon mein  phirse apke karan ashru aye toh itihas na apka naam yaad rakhega na apke rajya ka naam. I hope you haven't forgot that Matsya is under hastinapur's rule" he said, his voice dangerously low as if giving some grave warning.  Sudeshna nodded faintly and hurried out of the chamber.

After she had left, Vedangi came running towards him and hugged him tightly. Karna rocked her back gently, till her sniffs lowered, he extended his other arm towards Shvet who was standing with lowered gaze. Shvet hesitated for a moment, then hugged him, karna rocked his head too with paternal love, making him break down in tears. Karna let them cry till their sniffs subsided and gently broke the hug. "You both are not going anywhere, you are going to stay here itself"he declared.

"No Angraj, this isn't our home, we can't stay here" Shvet said, "Jamai ji , I am sorry to say but, I can't send my daughter to Matsya again after seeing the words been spoken to her. You would have a very respectable position,  here in Anga, but please don't go back, I can't see tears in my daughter's eyes" Karna said, his voice held pain, he was again considering himself responsible for her pain. "Baba, wasn't it you who had gave my hand in his, months ago? Matsya is my home baba, I would have to return! And baba, which home doesn't have fights? I am sorry, but I have to back to my home" Vedangi said with a gentle smile. Karna just nodded and left the chamber.
************************************
Shvet and Vedangi were standing in the balcony of his guest chamber, Shankh was sleeping on the bed inside. Almost an hour ago he had came running his face tear strained. After asked, he hugged Vedangi, crying on her shoulder. While she rocked his head, he narrated everything the conversation between him and lakshmana. Shvet had somehow consoled him and made him sleep, after having dinner. "So much happened today" she said with a sigh, still gazing outside, Shvet just nodded. He was too deeply hurt, firstly by his mother's behaviour, his wife's insult in front of allies and lastly by whatever happened with Shankh.

"We are leaving for home tomorrow. We would be back home after a long gap. Again those tiring duties" she said trying to make him smile, but in vain. "Let's have a walk, this room feels so suffocating" he tugged her hand and pulled her out of the chamber. They both were walking in the corridor silently, though they were speaking a lot, without words. After a long time, they were comfortable in the silence. They sat on a swing, near a balcony in the dark corridor. She snaked her hands around his left arm and leaned on his shoulder. They stayed in the same position, till they felt their lost solace returning.

Vedangi slowly raised her head and kept looking at him, he cupped her cheeks gently. She lowered her gaze feeling shy, but he held her face firmly in his palms, making her cheeks more crimson. He leaned forward, she feeling his breath on her face. He was about to touch her lips, when someone came there running. "Tai.. Tai" Vrishketu came there running. Vedangi immediately pulled away, rising on her in a hurry, while Shvet slapped his own forehead. "Tai, what were you both doing so close?" He asked, Vedangi bit her lower lip, trying to control her blush.

Bhanu came there searching for ketu and heard this awkward conversation, for a moment she too wished to tease Vedangi but stopped as Shvet was also there. "Ketu, let's go your brothers are waiting for you" Bhanu tried to pull him, but he was adamant. "Kaki ask them na, what were they doing so close? Jijashree was so near her face" ketu said, making his eyes wide. Bhanu pursued her lips tightly. Poor Vedangi, hit Ketu on his arm lightly and ran to the women's chamber, blushing profusely.
************************************
Hey, my lovely readers, the next part is here.
Hope you liked reading this part, let me know through your comments, they are much important for me ❤️.