94

He fiddled with the lace on my shirt cuff. I turned my head back to him, making eye contact with him. His eyes glazed over and his features relaxed. My breath caught in my throat. The dim light of the candle illuminated his skin.

"Would you give me the honor of this dance, love?" he lowly offered.

The pet name made the saliva gather under my tongue. Blinking, I nodded politely. I placed my hand in his waiting one. The smoothness of my palm contrasted to the roughness of his.

As dinghy as the Hog's Head Inn was, the atmosphere between us seemed so divine. I had to hold back any cheesy remarks that could potentially ruin the mood.

He took my waist into his grasp, his fingers drummed once across my mid back. Shivers traveled up my spine and a ragged breath left my lips at the sensation. The corner of his mouth upturned. I tore my gaze away in embarrassment.

Our bodies swayed on creaky floorboards. He leaned forward, his nose grazed my jaw. I stiffened but what he did next reduced me to ashes.

Unmistakably, he inhaled deeply and quietly groaned. As if the mere scent of my skin spurred on a frenzy, he pulled me closer. His pelvis made contact with my hip bone. Momentarily, I held my eyes closed.

"I bet you like making me crazy, Fawkes," he murmured.

"What?"

"Ever since that day in Potions, you made it a point to wear that body wash everyday," he explained.

I swallowed when I remembered that day I fainted. It was one of those few moments that kickstarted my dangerous journey. But it was the day I realized that it confirmed something. It confirmed the fact that Sirius Black and I were meant to be.

"You're no different, Padfoot," I whined.

"Yeah? How so?"

"You've conditioned me like a pet. I see you chewing on a lemon drop and I'm at your feet like a helpless puppy," I told.

He chuckled, turning us to the side. Like in almost everything, he took the lead in the waltz. My white dress clung to my body everytime we moved. While I'd like his fingers tugging at the zipper, this close proximity in our intimate dance pleased me.

"I didn't know that," he said.

"Imagine my surprise when I smelled it from the potion. Lemondrops, lemonade, even the fruit itself," I muttered.

Our mouths met. My lids widened before they fluttered shut. His tongue swiped along my bottom lip. Before my mouth could part more, he withdrew just as fast as he came in. A line of spit broke away between us.

"Tastes like lemonade?" he mused.

Subconsciously, I licked my lips and I nearly choked when I finally understood what he said. The heat traveled along the curve of my tummy and my cheekbones. I averted my glance. I didn't have to look to know that he was grinning from ear to ear. 

"Yes...and firewhiskey," I quietly told.

If it's anything Sirius likes to do; it's teasing me. He always makes the most sensual statements at the most inconvenient times. And the spontaneous times when he grabs something specifically sensitive inconspicuously and in public. While I would do the same, it's not to his degree.

"Say my name, doll."

"Padfoot."

"Mmm, no. Say my name and look me in the eyes," he repeated.

I huffed and made eye contact with him. His long lashes glittered and the heartthrobbing smile greeted me.

"Sirius...Sirius, Sirius, Sirius," I whispered.

-

"Sirius! Wake up!"

My heart hammered in my chest as my glance flickered between Padfoot and the crumbling Freewill Manor. Dread piled in my gut and I held back the tears threatening to build along my lashline. All seven of us gathered in the front yard.

A near reflection to the last home we destroyed stood in front of us. Guilt bubbled at my nape. I daren't look at Pandora. If I did, I wouldn't be able to stomach the look of despair on her face. Here I am, again; another disaster that has affected my loved ones. When will it end?

Sirius regained consciousness, his breathing grew faster as he did so. His immediate scene post awakening had to be the burning home. What used to be our safe place, now somewhere memories that no longer have their material.

His body didn't seem as heavy in my arms anymore. I felt the muscles in his back harden. I tightened my grip around his shoulders and swallowed thickly. The brown grass underneath us reminded me of the grass that I burnt a winter ago. Where the snow had melted but the evaporation disappeared. And the steam rose along the dead and dry weeds that replaced greenery. It was all too similar to the scenery developing before us.

Like every moment that I experienced was a foreshadowing to the future ones. And thus, I am stuck in a repetitive cycle.

I don't even know how those deatheaters found us. I thought I thwarted them before I apparated. Perhaps they knew all along? But if they did, they would've came for me sooner. What went wrong?

The worst thought passed my mind and I cursed myself for even thinking it. But someone has to protect them, and it will be me. It will always be me.

There's a traitor among us.

My jaw clenched and I focused ahead of me. I heard James fall to his knees, followed by the others as the exhaustion finally settled. Sirius' head began to loll again. We need to get him medical help. There's no time to be suspecting each other while he's in pain.

"No one's hurt, right? We're all safe?" he meekly questioned.

I pulled him closer into my chest and I felt the first tear drop. "Yes."

-lana