108

James

My socks are wet.

This is quite literally the worst experience I've ever had. We barely have entered the cave and my day is ruined. It's ruined, I tell you. Only the fact that Lily is talking my ear off is making me feel better.

"Xenophilius really does know how to make someone insecure. Did you see the way he looked at me when I told them 'good luck'? Disrespectful," she grumbled.

I glanced at my feet, completely unsettled when I saw the dark stains on my sneakers. A cold sweat began to cling to my skin. Of all days, we chose the most excruciatingly hot day to investigate.

"My, it's no wonder he's with Pandora. They're a match made in heaven," she continued.

"You know what's the real match made in heaven? Me in my bed at this very moment," I replied.

"I hear you," she agreed.

Her arms were away from her sides, balancing on the wet ground. She carefully chose her steps but I have a feeling she'll slip at least once. The humidity began to fog up my glasses and I sniffled in distaste.

"Do you think the others declined to join us because we're like this?" I wondered.

She glanced at me with a frown and her brows scrunched. Her hair was a in a messy updo with haphazardly placed clips. They glittered from the light of our wands. Her blue eyeshadow seemed to glow when paired with her green eyes.

"Probably," she responded.

I placed a hand on the wall, supporting my weight. This cave mission sure is unfortunate for this clusmy couple. Despite it, we both agreed that going to see the professor isn't entertaining.

"I swear, Pandora is in love with Cry. They're both stuck to each other like they've announced a pregnancy. I mean, what does she have that I don't?" she complained.

"Blonde? They're both blonde? Maybe it's a blonde thing, yes," I replied.

"I'm not far from it! Plus, gingers— they stay ginger... Blondes turn into brunettes when they get older," she exclaimed.

"Love, why don't you just talk to Cry? She's the most non-judgemental person I've met," I urged.

"Well, yes, but—"

Her voice caught in her throat when she placed her foot in a slippery place. The sole of her shoe slid and her body began to lurch backward. Quickly, I pushed myself off the wall and launched myself at her.

Thanking Merlin, I caught her waist before she met the ground. She let out a heavy breath when she realized she hadn't outright fallen. Her body relaxed in my arms once safely recovered. I would've thought she passed out in relief if I didn't see her eyes trained on my face.

"I thought I died," she deadpanned.

"Me too," I joked.

Lily brought her arm around my neck and finally straightened out. She found a drier place to step on and calmed her breathing. I stifled a laugh at the alerted expression on her face.

"Oh, God, you're bleeding," she bleated.

"What? Where?" I immediately wailed.

"Your hand, James! Did you scrape it?" she questioned.

Her arm fell but quickly the connecting hand found mine. She brought it in the space between us and examined it. Her wand lowered to showcase the blood and dirt from the cut. It's nothing too bad. I've gotten worse from Quidditch.

"It's fine. It's better than you having a broken— like... spine from slipping on a stupid rock," I dismissed.

I'm trying to act tough. Even if it's not a huge gaping hole in my abdomen, it still does sting. But Lily wouldn't date a whimp! I mean, she currently is but that's a secret to her.

"We should head back. I have a feeling that we might get seriously hurt if we keep going," she said sternly.

"No, we have to find something. Let's keep going for a little longer," I argued.

She stared at me with an intensity that made my stomach churn. Her jaw clenched and she ruffled around in her bag. She snatched my wrist again as she angrily pulled her handkerchief out. With a lingering glare, she lowered her lids to my palm.

Lily wrapped the cloth around my hand fiercely. I grimaced at the added pain which I know she knows she's inflicting. She roughly tied a knot and threw my wrist. I fought a smile back when I saw her displeased pout. She's too sweet.

She tempestously swirled forward. I followed after her, much more precautious. The strands that framed her face bounced as she continued in.

The air grew colder. I heard droplets on rock. A chill ran down my spine and I shivered. Holding my bandaged hand to my chest, I matched her pace. Her features softened.

"Do you feel that?" she suddenly asked.

I stiffened. Blinking a couple times, I answered, "Are we talking about...? Or, am I, what?"

She paused her footsteps. Her head upturned, a sparkle sprint along her iris. Her gaze wandered, looking all around us. We stood at the opening of the cave. Where the water I heard from earlier finally put sound to source. I noticed a wooden boat in murky liquid.

"Magic. All around us, James. There's so much magic in here. It feels like it's coursing in my veins. You can't feel it?" she resumed.

"A little. Mainly the chill in here, though. Lils, what you said earlier, let's head back. Now that we know what's in here, we can..."

"This is dark magic. I've felt it before with the deatheaters. But this is something— something evil. It's in the air, in the walls, in the water, James," she rambled.

She made eye contact with me. Her lip trembled and I saw the fear easily enough. She swallowed harshly. There's no denying it, Lily is the most powerful witch in our student body. It's always baffling to see it in action.

Many underestimate her, simply because she's muggle-born. But she's always been compelling. Her tone, her confidence, her capability are mesmerizing. She needn't have her wand to use her magic.

She's had it ever since we were little. Flowers bloomed in her wake, candles flicker when she enters a room, your heart skips a beat. Lily Evans is made of light magic.

So it's no surprise when she instantaneously picks up on dark magic. It's almost like she's sensitive to it.

"We can come back with the others. I think this isn't something we can do by ourselves. Let's go," I urged.

I grasped her forearm, pulling her closer to me. She nodded, looking behind us once more. I don't want her near this place again. Something inside this cave is dangerous, much more than a feeble scrap.

"You okay?" I questioned awkwardly.

"Yeah..just thinking that Cry wouldn't hesitate like this," she mumbled.

"Oh shush. You know Fawkes is a scaredy cat. She'd run back to us with her tail between her legs," I lied.

She didn't laugh. I guess my joke didn't come off as light-hearted as I hoped. I hate lying to her but I don't like seeing her upset either.

"Cry's crazy strong, we both know that, James. She'd do anything for us," she lowly told, jealousy evident.

"So are you. You'd die protecting anyone," I comforted.

She nodded again, keeping her gaze from me.

"Always."

-lana