IV

"If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces."

E. Lockhart : We Were Liars

♤♡◇♧

Seungmin walked quickly and with purpose through the crowded hallways. Normally he wouldn't be in such a hurry, but it was the end of the day and that meant he could go home. He wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, just as he did every day. Any normal person wouldn't be able to get through the halls this fast, but a lot of people purposefully avoided him.

Sure, it hurt to see people whispering behind his back and walk away from him whenever he got close, but it sure did have its advantages – it's not like he was allowed to complain either way, because he was the one who gave himself this dreadful reputation.

He wasn't a fan of being at school and by the end of the day he was exhausted and tired of putting up all of his fake faces. He just wanted to go home and collapse onto his bed and act like a normal teenager, well, as normal as a teenager can be when he's from a family as rich as his own. Maybe he'd talk to his online friends, or read a book—that was a dear passion of his; reading.

He lived to read, despite what people at school might think of him. His favorites where the sad ones and the old ones. He loved Jane Austen and any author that could make him cry. Like the book We Were Liars, that cause an emotional catastrophe. The poor naughty dogs. Also Misery by Stephen King was a classic.

Seungmin nearly jumped when he just about bumped into someone. He wasn't paying attention to where he was going because he just assumed that people would walk out of his way for him, but apparently not this person. They stood strong, maybe not noticing his presence. He looked up to see a familiar boy in which he shared a physics class with, he remembered his name to be Felix.

"Move." Seungmin said loudly, the boy turning around and immediately trying to get away. He looked somewhat afraid and Seungmin felt hurt by that for some reason. Was he scary to people? Did they think he would hurt them? Seungmin kept walking now, only for someone else to be in his way, "Hey—"

"You can't talk to people like that." A certain voice said, ticking him off even more. All he wanted was to get home and re-read Pride and Prejudice for the 13th time. Why was Hyunjin making such a big deal out of this, attracting more drama than necessary?

"Pardon me?" Seungmin cocked an eyebrow, "Move. I'm trying to get through here."

"Walk around me."

"Move."

"Walk around me."

"Move." He emphasized his words as a way to show his depleting patience. No one had ever stood up to him like this, looked him in the eyes and fought back. In a way it was less hurtful then when people flat out ran away from him however.

"No." Hyunjin bent down a little to meet eye level with the other male, effectively making Seungmin feel much less superior. Hyunjin was using his stupid pretty face to his advantage again and Seungmin didn't like it.

The two of them only glared at one another, neither daring to move to the side in order for Seungmin to get past. The younger was scared he might not win the battle, unlike how he always did so easily, but he wasn't about to give to the taller. He hated losing, especially to people that he hated.

Seungmin noticed how all of Hyunjin's friends were staring at them and he would lie if it he said it didn't make him feel at least a little bit intimidated. It wasn't really his thing to be center of attention.

Eventually Hyunjin stood up straight again, looking down on Seungmin. He took a breath, Seungmin not expecting the question that came next, "Why do you always stare at me." He cocked his head to the side.

"Me? Staring at you? Or please, you're the one who always looks at me! I can't even eat my lunch peacefully without you glueing your stupid eyes to me!" Seungmin said, not caring about how his voice rose louder than he had originally planned. Something about this stupid pretty blond boy pissed him off so very, very much.

"I only stare at you because I catch you staring at me." His jaw is tense, but he's enjoying seeing Seungmin so riled up. He probably thinks he's so intimidating. "You're not so special you know, puppy boy."

Seungmin steps back, completely and utterly appalled by the new nickname. Maybe not appalled, maybe threatened? Disgusted? ...Flustered? No. "Don't call me that, I'll make you regret it." He said, clenching his teeth together tightly as he spoke. No matter how hard he tried, the taller never seemed even the slightest bit scared.

"What are you gonna do?" The elder asks, smirking down at the other male, "Attack my poor, helpless ankles?"

Seungmin no longer felt angry. Something about the way he was being spoken to made him feel a certain emotion bubble in his chest that he had never felt before, and he didn't like it. He was offended and hurt by this, and at a complete lack of words on what to say to Hyunjin now, so, he said nothing. He clenched his fists and walked away, pushing past the taller shoulder and pushing him to the side so he could get through.

He heard Hyunjin laugh as he walked away and tears nearly came to his eyes. Hyunjin had just humiliated him and he had no come back, nothing to say for himself. Maybe he deserved it for the way he acted toward people, but that didn't stop the elders words from hurting.

Maybe Seungmin was mean, but he felt that Hyunjin was meaner. At least towards him, because everyone else seemed to love the blond, while everyone seemed to hate Seungmin.