LXI

"I know what it's like to tell yourself a lie so often that it becomes the truth."
Karen M. McManus : One of Us is Lying

♤♡◇♧

I grabbed the food from downstairs and went to head back to the bedroom where Seungmin would be waiting for me. We had decided that instead of going to a restaurant we wanted to stay in while everyone else left to go see some kangaroo show that was being hosted Thursday night, a.k.a tonight.

Felix had said something about how they might be able to feed the kangaroos after they learn about them. I think it was a children's event but I'm not one to judge. They were getting ready to leave when Chan caught my shoulder, "So what exactly is going on with you and Seungmin tonight?"

I shrugged, "Hopefully some sex. Maybe I'll wow him with this food."

I saw the displeasure on Chan's face, "I mean seriously. Are you gonna ask him out? Propose to him? Or is this the wedding already."

I shook my head, the corners of my lips tipping upwards in a motion I couldn't help, "I'm going to ask him to be my boyfriend. I'll let you know what happens when you get back — Changbin and Minho are whining for you to get going." I motioned towards the door with my head.

He nodded and gave me a firm pat on the back, "Good luck trying to pull some bitches." He chuckled. I opened my mouth to speak but closed it again quickly, not wanting to waste my breath. I made my way up the stairs again and opened the door to our bedroom.

I placed the food down in front of Seungmin where he sat reading on his bed. He looked down at the tray and then up at me, "Is our date starting?" He smiled, sitting up as I made a spot for myself across from him.

"Yes," I said, "But before we start eating I would like to have a conversation with you.."

Even though I was trying to be serious, I saw his eyes glint with excitement. He already knew what this was going to be about and I could tell that he didn't want to wait much longer. "Okay." He whispered.

I took his hands and lead him to the window. I heard that everyone had left the house downstairs and saw the cars driving off down the road. I'm not sure why, but I was nervous to ask him even though I knew he would say yes.. well, did I know?

We stood in front of the window, hand in hand, with the ocean in the background. The moon reflected off the water and the stars lit up our faces like the subtle flame that ignited our chests. A warm feeling spread in my body the more I looked at him, feeling the fire grow.

I cleared my throat, looking around anxiously, "I like you Seungmin," I started, cringing already, "And you.. like me?"

Seungmin giggled gently, "Yes, for the hundredth time, I do like you."

I nodded, swallowing the saliva building in my mouth, "Well then.." I stuttered, "Well then.." I trailed off, face hot and mouth dry. I didn't know what to say and my hands were sweating profusely.

Seungmin took a small step towards me, holding my hand tighter, "Hyunjin, I really like you. I want to spend days with you and nights with you, and I want to hold your hand when you feel nervous – just like this.." he whispered, looking at our interlocked hands, "I want to kiss you when you cry and hug you when you're laughing, and I want you to do the same for me. Will you?"

I nodded quickly, "Yeah, yes of course I will." Was I the one being asked out right now..?

. . .

Hyunjin held his breath, listening to what more his 'friend' had to say. Seungmin looked into his eyes like he'd never seen anything so fascinating, "Well then.." he left off where Hyunjin had started.

"Well then.." Hyunjin whispered, "Will you be my boyfriend?"

Seungmin nodded, "Yes," he giggled, "I will be your boyfriend." He hugged the taller, "Now that I've said your speech for you." He muttered.

Hyunjin held him tightly, "You're so stupid.." he mumbled back, "So stupidly pretty."

"It's funny." Seungmin said, pulling back to look his new boyfriend in the eyes, "I've always thought of you as 'Stupid, pretty Hyunjin'. That's what I've been calling you in my head since I first met you."

Hyunjin swept hair out of Seungmin's eyes, "Well I've been thinking of you as 'Stupidly pretty Seungmin'."

What a coincidence.

Seungmin pulled Hyunjin back to the bed where their food rested, "I wouldn't want all of this take-out to get cold." He said as he sat down.

"That would be horrible." Hyunjin agreed, grabbing a plate and handing it to Seungmin, "You know, Mi-Young is going to be very proud of me for securing a boyfriend. Nonetheless you."

Seungmin nodded, "She's going to he happy about this. You think she'll want me over more?"

Hyunjin shrugged, "Not sure."

While they ate they talked about everything and nothing, not enough going on around them to notice and too much not to care.

Hyunjin stayed stupid. Stupid and pretty.

Seungmin stayed pretty — stupidly pretty.

Everything was perfect now. Nothing else was needed.

Everything was stupidly perfect.