VII

“Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.”
Jane Austen : Northanger Abbey
1818

♤♡◇♧

"Will you two stop bickering? I'm getting a headache from all of this fighting." My mother said, using her fingers to massage her temples lightly. I knew she was just being dramatic though, that's what mothers do.

Mi-Young stopped talking mid sentence and pouted a tiny bit, "Sorry mommy." She slouched down in her seat at the dinner table. I silently triumphed that she was unable to fight back against me now and by default I won the argument. I barely remember what we were fighting about; probably something stupid, I don't really care.

Mom sighed and I got the feeling that she was about to tell us something important, so I listened. "You two remember the Kim family?"

I scoffed under my breath, "Mom, there are thousands upon thousands of 'Kim families'." I mention to her and she only rolls her eyes.

"The one that we have that business companionship with." She says, only looking at me, "We'll be meeting up with them this Friday and you two need to come along, okay? It's just to get to know eachother and have dinner. After that we can finalize some plans."

I nod. I remembered her talking about them sometimes but they honestly always slipped my mind. I remembered only a few things about them; they were rich, they lived in the same town and they had a son around my age. That was what gave me hope; maybe me and their son could get along and I wouldn't be completely bored out of my mind. "Sure." I said shortly.

"Hyunjin this means a lot to the business okay? You and their son need to get along for this to work out—if anything goes wrong it could all come crumbling to the ground." She had her eyebrows slightly raised and cheeks pressed tightly to her teeth, a tell tail sign she was being very serious.

I nod again, "Sure."

"Hyunjin—"

"I'm agreeing Mom. I'll do my best to get along with him, okay?" I give her a reaction smile, just because I know this whole ordeal has been stressing her and dad out for months.

Mi-Young is stuffing her face with crackers and jelly, but once she swallows she decides to add to the conversation, "Mommy, I'll make sure to get along with him as well. Me and Jinnie will become his bestest friends."

I roll my eyes, no one my age would really want to be friends with an 11 year old girl with a sassy attitude, accept Felix and Jisung but that's only because they're the exact same thing in a teenage boy's body. Instead of telling her that though I go with a cheap shot, "Bestest isn't a word."

She glares at me, "Is so."

"Is not."

"Is so."

"Is not."

"Is so."

"Is not—"

♤♡◇♧

As Friday approached I found myself getting nervous to meet this mystery boy and his small sister. Maybe mystery boy would be cute and we would get along and start dating and fall in love and get married and have children together—that is on the off chance that he's actually gay... or that he even likes me.

I didn't even know mystery boy's name but I was already preparing to simp over him as soon a I met him. I'm a hopeless romantic what can I say. I'm desperate for someone to love me and it's not like I can find that at school.

Speaking of school, Hyunjin has totally been staring at me more often. I think he hates me.. like a lot. It sucks because the more he stares at me the more I stare at him and the more attractive he looks. I mean, dude, he's super fucking hot.

His personality isn't even bad either, it's just that we don't get along. Last night I found myself fantasizing about him confessing his feeling for me and us living happily ever after, and truth be told I kind of liked the thought of it. Now I'm not saying I have a crush on him, but I do think I have a tiny little part of me that thinks I do.

I'm delusional is all. I've been reading too many romance books lately and it getting to my head.  I'm starting to get jelouse of the characters and I'm think I should take a break from those books and read classical literature for a bit. Maybe I'll go with fantasy or comedy, just anything to make me less of a hopeless romantic, really.

There is one major problem though. I'm pretty sure that if this goes on for much longer, I may genuinely contract the terrible disease that is a crush on Hyunjin. This is bad because God knows it would never work out.

He hates me because he thinks I'm mean and I act mean because he hates me because he thinks im mean. I'm not mean though.. at least I don't think I am. Under all of this pressure and social status that is crushing the vain of my very existence, I'm just a normal teenage boy and he'll never know that.

Oh well. I'll just make sure I don't get a crush on him—thats the only way to really make sure that I don't get my own heart broken. I can only imagine that he could never in a million years feel the same way, but staring into his beautiful eyes and admiring his soft, golden hair, sometimes I fool myself into thinking that have a chance with him.

Someday I'm gonna screw myself over so bad and hurt my heart, shattering it into way too many peices to put back together.......

No need to be so morbid though. Maybe a small little crush wouldn't be so bad for me right? Maybe it would be good. That's what my mom says, she's always encouraging me to make more friends and look for stupid love. She may be right.