XVII

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
Stephen Chbosky : The Perks of Being a Wallflower

♤♡◇♧

"This is too much work." Changbin whined, struggling to carry another pack of beer to the table. A few moment ago he was braging about how big his muscles were so we told him to move all of the alcohol by himself. For a while he was doing it with ease, but now he's just complaining—I don't think it's it's that he's tired, I think he's just bored.

"You volunteered yourself." Jisung said, sticking his tongue out at him. This only motivated Changbin to lift another pack. I rolled my eyes before quickly getting back to work. I needed to go around and make sure every door that needed to be locked, was locked. People were only allowed in the guest bedrooms—and only because I'd rather they fuck there than the kitchen or some shit. Nasty.

I honestly don't think I'm gonna hook up tonight. I don't really feel like it, and besides, no one here knows that I'm gay. Well, not technically gay, I'm Bi, but recently I've really been leaning towards men—I know, I know, why would I ever do that? I can't help it, I just like their dic—

"Are we getting paid for this?" Jeongin interrupted my lewd thoughts.

"For what." I asked, putting an expensive vase in a locked room to keep it safe. I'm responsible like that.

"For running around helping you set all of this up as if it wasn't your idea to have this party in the first place? I deserve compensation for the time I'm losing." He folds his arms together, tapping his foot.

I stare at him for a moment, my face flat, "Your compensation can be when this party finally gets you laid."

His jaw dropped, "Hey! I get laid all the time, I get laid so much and so often that I don't even want to get laid, in fact, I've had so much sex that—" When he stops talking it's only because he realizes that mortified look on Chans face. Chan always sees him as a child and hearing this type of thing is hard for him to hear.

"What?" Apparently Chan wasn't aware that Jeongin wasn't a virgin in the first place. From then on the two of them started to fight, Jeongin about how 'Chan wasn't his dad' and Chan about, 'why didn't you tell me, I'm basically your dad'. It's entertaining background noise while the rest of us finish up the preparations.

My parents always said that if I were ever to throw a party I could, I just had to do it responsibly. Like, my sister can't be around, I need to put expensive things away, 'no alcohol' (which I totally refuse to abide by), lock doors and clean up after myself. I've always done most of these if not all, but I never listen about the alcohol thing. I just get my friend to buy it for me, hes older than the rest of us so he can.

I mine as well learn how to drink early, right?

♤♡◇♧

When my taxi pulls up to Hyunjin's house I'm nervous. What if he doesn't want to see me or something, or it was some big practical joke – but there's highschoolers everywhere so I doubt it. The place looks like an ant nest with the amount of people swarming.

I thank my driver, pay him and get out of the car. He drives off without hesitation.

Once I'm inside I immediately weave through all the people, on my way towards the alcohol. I'm a light drinker, but my mom says she'll pay for my ride home in a cab. I don't generally drink, in fact almost never, so even the smallest bit of alcohol is enough to send me over the edge—but it's a party and I'm really tense right now, so who cares.

I find the table of alcohol and pick up a red solo cup, filling it up from the bowl of punch. The lights are dim so I can't even see what colour the liquid is, but I can tell it's packed full of nothing but various types of drinks. It taste horrible and it burns my entire mouth, but I take another sip anyway.

I recognize the couch, now full of people making out and stuff. I picture myself sitting there with Mi-Young as I read her that book and as she told me all of Hyunjin's secrets. I still feel kind of guilty for knowing those things.

I don't see any sign of Hyunjin or his friends though, so that's good. A few moments later my head already feels fuzzy and all my limbs feel light and airy. I know that I'm going to get really, really drunk from this mystery juice. Maybe it's a good way to get my alcohol tolerance up.

I look around and spot an open barstool to sit at. So far this party has been really boring, maybe because I don't have any friends here. I waddle on over and sit myself down, slouching into the seat with my hands cupped tightly around my drink. My drink nearly got spiked one time and I've been petrified ever since. Can't imagine how women must feel.

My eyes roam around the room for a few minutes. I arrived pretty late to the party, like 11 o'clock. I wanted to finish my book before I left though. What if I died out here? I never would have gotten to know the ending. I'm looking to my left when I feel somebody staring at me from my right. My eyes trail over and I nearly fall out of my seat when I see Hyunjin standing about a foot from me.

He's towering over me from where I sit and not saying anything. Creepy.

"You came." Is all he says.

My head is fuzzy, I can't think. I nod because that's all I can think to do. He's staring at me and I'm staring back at him.

"I didn't think you liked me."