XLX

"I wish his darkness lived outside of him, because you have to know it's there to see it. Like all real monsters, he hides in plain sight."
Courtney Summers : Sadie

♤♡◇♧

When Seungmin woke up he had no idea what time it was, but stumbled out of bed anyway, looking for any signs of civilization. The house was noisy, filled with the familiar yelling of the other 7 boys. Seungmin searched for the source of the noise and soon found it to be the kitchen downstairs.

Felix was mixing something in a large bowl, Jisung was buttering a pan, Hyunjin was chopping up some food and Chan was in the corner holding his head in complete and utter dread. Seungmin dubbed some of the sleep from his eyes and looked around, his head still hurting a little bit.

He walked over to Jeongin who was eating biscuit whole at the counter. He sat down on the stool next to him, "Good morning.." he said quietly.

"Morphning," Jeongin said through a full mouth before swallowing his food and somehow not choking on it.

Seungmin licked his tongue over his lips and picked at the skin on his hand, "Hey, could I ask you a question?" He asked quickly, looking around to see if anyone was paying attention to them.

"Go ahead." Jeongin asked, "But if it's about Hyunjin I probably don't know the answer, he doesn't tell me shit."

Seungmin chuckled and shook his head, "No its not.." his smile faded into one of embarrassment and shame, "I was just wondering.. do you know what I did last night? I was.. drunk.."

"You don't say." Seungmin jumped when Chan appeared next to him out of the blue, leaning against the counter.

"Uhm.. hi." Seungmin said slowly, scratching the back of his neck.

"I don't know what you did, I was also really drunk. I think you just giggled with Felix and Jisung all night." Jeongin said then, getting up to go wash his hands of all the biscuit crumbs.

"I know what you did last night. Well, some of it." Chan said, biting into a biscuit himself, "You wanna know?"

Seungmin nodded, but the paused, "Unless you think it's something I would prefer not to know. Like, something embarrassing.." he said hesitantly, hoping he hadn't done anything too stupid.

Chan shrugged, "I don't think it's that embarrassing."

Seungmin didn't like the sounds of how he said it, squinting his eyes at the elder, "What.. did I do?"

"Hyunjin went to the washroom, you followed him, couple minutes went by and then you came back crying. You complained to Felix and Jisung that you wished things would work out with you and a certain someone." He explained.

Seungmins heart dropped, "D-did I say who that someone was..?"

Chan shook his head, "No, but I bet you I can guess who it is." His eyes drifted towards Hyunjin who was currently bickering with Changbin over the amount of butter in the pan.

Seungmin felt his face heat up, "It-its not.."

Chan looked at him as if to say 'I know you're lying but I'll let it go because this is none of my business'. He sighed, "Look, all I'm saying is that you should tell whoever it is that you like, that you like them.. you never know."

When Chan left the room, saying he was going to rest, Seungmin was left alone at the island, staring at his hands. The dry skin was bleeding slowly and he had to wipe away the blood everytime it got too much.

Hyunjin, bussied by cooking breakfast, looked over to see him looking sad. He wondered if maybe his hangover was still bugging him and went over to go check. He took a seat in one of the stools, "You look depressed." He stated.

Seungmin ignored him, glancing over very briefly, "W-what did I say to you last night? When I was drunk? When you went to the bathroom?"

Hyunjin stated at him for a moment, "Some stuff... why?" He inspected.

Seungmin shrugged, "I think I said some stuff I didn't mean is all.."

Hyunjin paused, feeling his heart sink a little bit. He had hoped that Seungmin had meant it, that maybe it meant that he liked the elder. Clearly it hadn't. "Oh.." he said, voice deflated.

"Yeah," Seungmin averted his eyes, "So just uhm.. forget all of that stuff that happened – including last night before we went to sleep."

Hyunjin nodded, though he felt his heart throbbing in his chest. He was humiliated that he had thought that Seungmin might like him back the same way he did. He couldn't believe that he had made a move like that on him last night before they went to bed. "Yeah, totally." Mustered up the courage to say.

"We were both drunk anyway." Seungmin noted, but it wasn't true. Hyunjin hadn't been drunk last night. It just made it all the more embarrassing.

Seungmin looked sheepishly over to him, touching his lips gingerly before acting like he was simply wiping something off of them. "Maybe friends won't work for us." Seungmin said quietly.

"But.." Hyunjin's voice cracked and he had to swallow hard to regain composure, "Maybe we just need to stay away from alcohol... it doesn't seem to work for us, does it?" He tried to laugh, smiling awkwardly, buy the lump in his throat just grew bigger and his eyes started to sting at tears.

Before Seungmin could open his mouth to speak Hyunjin was walking away quickly. Seungmin had a painful frown on his face, feeling like shit. He should never have gotten drunk; he had gotten too comfortable and now Hyunjin was pushing away. He had made the elder upset by all of this clearly.

Hyunjin meanwhile, had started crying — and hard. Tears flowed down his cheeks in a swift pattern, falling onto the floor beneath him. He covered his mouth, sitting on his bed and hunched over his knees.

He was stupid.

Seungmin would never like him like that, so why did he keep trying at it?

Stupid, stupid, pretty.. Seungmin.