XII

"It was a terrible thing, sure, but we live in a world that has no shortage of terrible things. You can't stop for all of them."

Courtney Summers : Sadie

♤♡◇♧

And just like that, when Hyunjin got home from school no other than Seungmin was sitting in his living room reading a children's book to Mi-Young. Something about a sad sheep, he didn't stay to listen. He only scowled and walked past them, already having had enough of the world for one day.

He was still distraught about bursting at his friends the way he had and he didn't really want to deal with Seungmin in his home as well, but what was the worst that could happen? He could simply just hide in his bedroom until that puppy looking child left his house. Having to pretend to be friends with him for their parents benefits is one thing, but having him in his house because his sister liked him is another thing.

He could distract himself though as he thought about how his friends were probably mad at him for snapping today though. He was just getting annoyed with the way they joked about that shit because he truly did hate Seungmin. Well, maybe hate is a strong word? No, no why else would he dislike being shipped with that guy other than if he didn't like him.

He'd have to text the groupchat and say sorry or something. Hopefully they get the message.

♤♡◇♧

Seungmin was mindlessly reading some kids book while his head wrapped around other ideas. Mi-Young was listening carefully to his words, sitting criss-cross on the other side of the couch neatly. She was wearing a frilly while dress that went down to just bellow her knees so you could've see the bruises and cuts that lined them from a day of playing around outside. Her hair was in a messy bun that looked like maybe at one point it had been done up by careful hands, probably a nanny.

He closed the book once he realized he has read all there was to be read and looked up at the girl across from him who sat with a smile on her face. "You're good at reading, better than Jinnie. Jinnie has a monotone voice and it makes everything sound sad and gloomy."

"Does Hyunjin read to you?" He asked, almost surprised. Yes, Hyunjin had said he cared for his sister but he didn't think he had actually meant it. He just presumed that he acted like a standard teenage boy who would never bother actually taking care of his younger sister.

"Of course," she nodded, "He reads me a chapter of a novel every night before I go to bed. Right now we're reading The Witch and The Wardrobe."

He nods. It's crazy to think that Hyunjin could actually be nice to anyone. He had always seemed cold and rude to Seungmin but maybe that was only him. The thought that Hyunjin only treated him so badly made his heart sink a little bit. He had no idea why he cared how Hyunjin treated him so much. "Thats nice of him.." he looked away from the girl over at the coffee table.

"You like him right?"

"Like who?"

"Jinnie of course."

Seungmin knitted his eyebrows together, "Like him? No. Me and him don't really get along that well, you might notice that." He wasn't sure was meaning the word 'like' held, but he said mostly the truth. He didn't really like Hyunjin, he just wanted his approval—for whatever reason.

"But Jinnies friends said you two liked eachother and stuff. I'd be careful, because Jinnie can be mean.. back in America he used to have two girlfriends at once." She seemed to look down at her lap, ashamed to tell him this, "I don't think they knew."

"Oh."

Seungmin wasn't sure what to think of that. She clearly still thought the two of them liked eachother and was trying to warn him that her brother was a huge fuck boy, but he didn't need to know.. though he did somewhat care.

She shrugged, "Jinnie is nice though, I promise. He's so mean to you but I promise he's nice. He even did my hair this morning, it took him half an hour and he was nearly late for school."

Seungmin nodded, "Like I said, we just don't get along, and Hyunjin's friends dont really know what they're talking about. I bet you it's all jokes and games." He trapped some air in his lungs for a moment, "Thanks for letting me know though, it's cool that you'd tell me that if we we're going to date." He smiled at the girl who gave him a weak smile back.

"Jinnie seems mean sometimes but he's not always. Sometimes I hear him crying in his room but he won't open the door so I can hug him." If Hyunjin found out his sister was spilling these types of secrets she'd probably be a dead girl walking. "He doesn't like when people see him sad."

He nods, "That seems kind of personal Mi-Young, I'm not sure he wants me to know this stuff."

She shrugs, "I guess. I just thought.."

Sometimes she seemed a lot older then she was, but sometimes she acted like a true child. She could be mature when she wanted to be. "It's fine, I just don't want to invade his privacy and make him hate me more is all."

"So you don't want him to hate you?"

This made Seungmin stop and pause, "Does anyone ever want people to hate them?"

"Maybe you should be nice to him. He's not a monster, I'm sure if you he nice to him, he'll be nice to you."

He smiled at the thought, amused that she thought it might be so simple. "Right, thanks Mi-Young. I'll be sure to try that out when I get the chance." Because sure he would get the chance. It's like they were never more then ten feet away from eachother.

Was that a good thing?