VIII

"Better than chocolate, being with you last night. Silly me, I thought that nothing was better than chocolate."
E. Lockhart : We Were Liars

♤♡◇♧

Hyunjin was tapping the pad of his pointer finger on his desk, resting this head in the palm of his other hand. He wasn't facing me, but I could still tell by the way he sat and I could hear the light thud of his finger on the wood of his desk.

History was becoming one of my favorite subjects just so that I could sit behind Hyunjin and watch him zone off. I liked to imagine what might be on his mind as he stared at his blank notes but I never really could, he seemed so unreadable.

We're currently learning about some random war and how it helped people to connect with one another and live in unity with eachother, or at least that's the jist of it; I've been a little bit preoccupied. I could care less about whatever Mrs. Lee was saying if Hyunjin was sitting in front of me, looking gorgeous as usual. It pissed me off how pretty he was.

I made sure to still give some of my attention to the teacher though, after the last time I got called on and had no idea what was happening. That was super embarrassing and I stay up at night thinking about it.

"It's a small activity everyone, no need to worry." Mrs. Lee said clapping her hands to gain everyone's attention, "I just want you to pair up with whoever closest to you within your row of desks and speak about a few questions on the board. I'll give you 15 minutes and then we'll have a class discussion, okay?" There was a few groans and disappointed sighs, but we continued with the assignment anyway.

Mrs. Lee pulled up a list of about 6 questions for us and our partners to answer amongst ourselves and then the chatter started up. I looked around for my parted, but Hyunjin found me first. I gave him a weird look as if to ask why he was turning towards me.

"She said to pair up with the person closest to you in our row of desks. That's you." He said blandly, messing around with a silver bracelet that hung from his wrists loosely. It was true, he was the person closest to me, but that didn't mean I wanted to be his partner.

"Oh." I said only, not sure what else to say. I avoided eye contact, afraid that if I looked into his perfect eyes I would start to blush or something stupid like that. "Well then let's get this over with. What aspect of the war do you think had the most effect on the upper class?" I read one of the questions off the board.

He scoffed, "Give it up Seungmin, we both know we're not about to actually answer these questions. You know I can feel when you stare at me during class."

"Huh? What? I don't stare at you during class. Unlike some of us I'm actually trying to graduate." I rolled my eyes, even though I knew damn well that I had been caught—how did he feel me staring at him though? Was that even humanly possible?

"You so were." He tapped my desk, "You don't even have any notes written down." He pointed at my paper which was, in fact, filled with a few stray doodles, the date, and nothing else.

"I don't like to take notes. It distracts me." Was my only excuse. Lame. "You don't have any notes either though."

"Funny that you notice that without even looking at my page just now. You must have been studying it earlier then huh? Perhaps when you had your eyes glued to my hair." His smile said all that I needed to hear. He knew he had gotten the best of me and I wanted to shrivel up and disappear.

"I just happened to see it. My eyes like to roam the room from time to time."

"Do they roam? Or are they just looking at me."

"They roam."

He laughs at this, a seemingly genuine laugh and I like the sound of it. He has a nice laugh, I note to myself. Of course I'm not about to tell him this outloud. "You're stubborn Seungmin. Just admit that you can't get enough of me." He flips his hair over his shoulder and I nearly gag. This is a side to him that I don't appreciate.

"Get a life Hyunjin. Not everything revolves around you all the time."

"But you know my name."

"You know my name."

He tightens his lips for a moment, "Fair enough, but only because you're a dick to all of my friends. That's why hate you y'know. You're rude and self absorbed and always think your right."

Hearing this, it kind of makes me feel sad. Is that how the school sees me? Maybe that's actually how I am and I'm just too ignorant to see it, but if thats actually how I was my mom would definitely let me know. Right? "You don't even know me, you can't make that judgment."

He scoffs for the second time, "Okay, sure, but you must have some judgments about me. What are they?"

I think for a few moment. I can't actually tell him what I think of him, that would be embarrassing. I shrug, "I don't like you, but only because you don't like me. When I first even met you you were already talking shit about me."

"Well the first thing I heard was that you were shit. You can't deny it, the way you treat people. If you want more people to like you maybe don't act like you don't like people. Simple as that." He turned away then without letting my say anything else, acting like that was how to win an argument. I bit my lip and stared at my desk.

I hated that he had a point.