Chapter 36

Y/N opened his eyes at the sound of a drop of water landing on the ground.

When his eyes opened he immediately closed them back again due to the intense light that shined upon his eyes.

Just as his eyes were accustomed to the light he admired the view.

It was the sight of the dawn and the sky was covered in that distinctive glow of yellow that came out of the early sun.

He sat up from the ground, noticing that he was on the green grass.

Returning his gaze to the sky he let out a quiet breath.

"I must be in my mental space."

He acknowledged the fact that all this beauty was just on his head and wasn't real which was sad, he would have liked to take a picture for Instagram and put a reflective caption on it.

A chuckle left him at that silly thought.

But his chuckle ended when he felt a familiar presence behind him along with heavy breathing.

He moved his eyes back to see the gigantic Dragon that was his partner since the beginning behind utterly towering and looking at him with those purple eyes that were so similar to his.

"Hey. Is something wrong? You look serious, more serious than usual."

Rough times are approaching more for than for me. If Cain sent that Seraphim to recruit you that means that he acknowledges the fact that if you're not on his side then you better be out of all. You rejected to be under him... That only leads to a sole thing, Y/N.

"Confrontation. I know."

Vritra nodded as the silence followed.

You're not ready. Even if he is weaker due to my extraction out of him he still possesses a power that of a God.

"I know, Vritra. That if he appears right now I am in no state of defeating him. He is stronger than me and more experienced, plus he is the worst opponent I can be against. He was the one before me who wielded your power so he is most likely to know all the tricks."

Indeed. That's why you need to grow stronger, more powerful, resilient.

"Now that you're talking about this Vritra... I have been meaning to ask you this."

Y/N stood up from the ground to face him.

He looked up to meet the Dragon's eyes.

"Dragon Emperors and more of us who bear the Heavenly Dragons nonetheless can indeed reach the power of Gods, but I know that the stronger the bond is between the user and the dragon the more powerful they become. Meaning... that the most trust they share the more power the possess at their hand."

Vritra already knew where he was going with this but he didn't say anything.

"Yes, the training of the user also influences a lot in their development but the most important of Dragon Emperors is the connection between both..."

"Issei I can understand that Ddraig doesn't trust him entirely they barely started to establish a connection and Valiana well, she is Valiana. But why... you and I who have been together in the ups and downs haven't got any stronger since that time in purgatory? Why that power that you provide is the same as then. The only reason that I got stronger is because of me and no one else. I strengthened my body and control of the power I get from you... You didn't help me. I did it all alone except for your healing factor but above that... I did it all alone."

"Why do I feel that you still consider me as someone not worth trusting?"

Vritra as usual, stood in deep silence as he maintained his gaze on the human.