Chapter 57

Brown eyes wandered over the streets of the city as the orange tone of the sky illuminated the entire area but none of that light reached him.

His gaze was devoid of any emotion... Not devoid, there was an emotion in them. Impotence.

Once again he had failed at doing what he wanted to achieve the most. Protect his friends. He failed again.

Issei looked at his hand, shortly after a crimson gauntlet enveloped the flesh as it glowed. Then blade unsheathed from that same sacred gear.

A sigh left him.

"No matter how many gifts I get... No matter the training it's never enough. Why the situation always overwhelms me? Am I not enough? Is my fate to always fail?"

He gritted his teeth as he turned his hand into a furious fist.

"Why I cannot do anything right for once?"

Because he was too weak to even face Cain now Y/N was lost in a place that had no tangible way out. Now his friend was suffering because of his incompetence.

Why did all the situation ended up overwhelming him?

"I am sorry, Y/N."

His gauntlet faded as he brought his hands to his face in shame.

"I knew that you would be here."

A voice came from behind him making Issei look back to see Rias.

"President? What are you doing here?"

He asked slightly curious and Rias frowned a bit in response before giving her answer.

"Can I worry about my cute Pawn? I was... concerned because I haven't seen you in an entire day."

"I am okay. You should go back to the mansion. Pretty sure they need you more than I."

Issei's gaze returned forward.

Rias sighed as she walked closer to him.

"Can I sit?"

"If you want."

His answers weren't like his usual self. They were short, simple and even a little coldness leaked from his voice. It... bothered her.

"Are you alright?"

Issei almost scoffed humorlessly upon such a dumb question.

He wasn't alright... But not like his feelings mattered at this moment.

"I am... Fine."

"You are not. For the first time, you're brooding."

"I am pretty sure that Y/N is having a much worst time than me. So I think I cannot complain about my current state of mind, President."

Through all of this, he never gave her a look, he just sat there looking at the nowhere with pitiful eyes.

"Issei... Tell me about you and Y/N."

He rose an eyebrow.

"I don't see why is that necessary. Look, I am fine, President. You should just-"

"Just tell me, there is nothing wrong with a simple talk."

Even though he was unsure of what to say back he just kept on her wishes.

"Well, he was just a guy who appeared out of nowhere to save from some bullies and it dragged on until now. He was always there to help me. Both in the good times and bad, more on the bat though."