part 4

When asked for a last name while signing, he couldn't give one. He didn't truly have a last name, and had to find one through his memory. He tried to think of any names that he heard people say to him. 'Innit' was what he wrote. The only name he could remember being called other than Tommy.

Outside the door, was Wilbur's Father, who had been looking for him for a while now. Philza had been told Wilbur was in the royal gardens on a walk, but as he went to look no-one was to be found. Since then, he had been trying to locate where he was, and only assumed he'd be in his room. "There you are, I've been looking everywhere for you" he said, with a smile, glad to of finally found him.

Though his gaze hadn't stayed on Wilbur for long. And soon went to the smaller boy behind him. Tommy seeing the King, bowed respectfully to him. With a raised eye brow Philza motioned to him. "Who is that.. May I ask?" It wasn't someone he had seen in the palace before. And he was curios to whom it could be.

Tommy wasn't sure what to do, other than stay where he was. How would Wilbur explain? Was he going to go through with the plan he told?

Wilbur was startled a bit at seeing his father, though that quickly faded. It was common for them to seek each other out in order to talk over or confirm certain acts and bills. He nodded, backing up into the room a small bit and smiling at his father. “Have you? What did you need me for?” He asked his father, tilting his head a bit. It could really be anything, though his father usually only came immediately to him alone if it was important.

He paused at the next question, before his eyes landed on Tommy again. Crap… good thing his acting skills were good and they had already formulated a plan if anyone asked about him. He did have to note that Tommy had some really good manors. Even putting aside the fact the prince felt a need to protect him from whatever happened before, he still had to admit he would be happy to have Tommy’s help. He looked back to his father.

“This is Tommy, my new aid. You’ve been pestering me about getting help for a while, and he was actually surprising charming and qualified.” He explained, going over to Tommy to stand next to him. “And he seems trustworthy enough. I’ll keep an eye on him for the first few weeks, don’t worry.” He notes, trying to put any concern to ease before it even bubbles up.

Philza was a bit sceptical on why he had agreed to the wishes he made days earlier. Wilbur had always said he didn't need a personal assistant For years. But was glad he finally got one. Though part of him recognized the blonde boy from somewhere. Maybe just a commoner in town needing A job is all. He knew many after all.

"Well, I hope Tommy can Keep up with you" he said jokingly giving a smile in his direction. Tommy smiled back, but stayed quiet. Thank goodness he bought the story. He'd hate to have Wilbur in trouble for lying to the king. Upon realizing Wilbur asked a question before answering his, he turned to his son. "Lord Shlatt seems to of lost one of his trusted servants.. Said they stole something and left, I came to ask you if you'd seen them?" He knew Wilbur had gone to the town earlier and maybe saw someone there. "Said it was a ruby chain.. And he wishes for it back"

Tommy's eyes went from the king to Wilbur then the ground upon hearing the name. That was who he just ran from. Was he really looking this early? And the story he gave that was a lie. He knew it.

Wilbur laughed, “I’m sure he can. I’m not that much of a handful.” He said playfully, shoulders subtly slacking in relief. That was one obstacle out of the way. They may actually be able to succeed in this lie. He tensed back up at the answer his father gave, however..
The prince had to keep himself from tensing or glancing towards Tommy. He simply hummed in acknowledgment, keeping his facial expression neutral, if a bit curious.

“That’s odd… I haven’t seen anything, though. I’ll make sure to alert you if I do.” He paused briefly. “Now, I have some things to attend to. Need to get Tommy settled in and situated. And I’m sure you have some duties as well. I’ll see you around, father!” He dismissed, ushering Philza out of the room.

He waited a few minutes to make sure Philza was out of ear shot before turning to Tommy. He didn’t seem angry, no… his eyes and body language read concern above all else.

“Tommy.. was he talking about you?” He spoke softly, “I- We’ve got less time than I thought- did you actually steal the chain? I won’t be mad if you did, but..“ he paused to let out a breath. “That will make things more difficult to weave through.”

The emperor was surprised to be ushered out the room, but he took his leave as he did have royal business to attend to. He just needed to ask Wilbur in case, and was content with his answer.

Though he knew he had done nothing truly wrong, Tommy couldn't help but feel a bit intimidated and scared again. He nodded, he had taken the chain and he still had it. Pulling in out, it was a normal silver chain with a ruby pendant. He didn't hold it out for long though, before he put it back into his pocket. Tears in his eyes he opened the book again and had to answer Wilbur truthfully.

'I did take it.. Master Shlatt hid it from me. But I found it' he found he couldn't look Wilbur in the eyes anymore. As he just looked to his hands and writing. 'He took it from me. When I was sold to him. Its mine, I am not giving it away, especially to him' he gave the book to the prince as he used his arm to wipe the tears that came flowing down his face. Tommy wasn't always a servant, and that chain was the only thing he owned. The only thing that he could use to say he was once free.

He could feel his ears burning from crying and embarrassment. He should of told Wilbur earlier but he hadn't. Now, it was a problem. The chain.. Was the only thing he had to remember his family from too. As it was given to him at his mothers passing.

Wilbur’s lips drawn into a frown at the nod, brows furrowing. This would complicate things.. he didn’t doubt tommy had good reason, not for a second. He was a good kid, he could tell. It still made things difficult, however..

He studied the pendant for a second, before sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose. “Why did you…. Tommy, I trust you had good reason, but….” He interrupted himself as he looked at the writing. That claim would be difficult to prove, but…. Maybe they wouldn’t have to. “Ill trust your word on that. But, it is his word against yours now. And not many people would trust a servant versus a lord.” He hands the book back gently, taking out his handkerchief in order to wipe away his tears.

“Ill be able to convince him to sell you to me, I have no doubt in that. Where I do hold doubt is the hope he’ll let you keep the pendant. He’s stubborn, and he’ll convince everyone you stole it from him, so legally you’d have to give it back.” He paused for dramatic affect, looking Tommy in the eye. “Or, we give him a forgery.”

He backs away, looking into Tommy’s eyes briefly. “May I see it again? I’ll give it right back, but…. I want to see just how difficult it may be to forge it. It’s got sentimental value to you, to him it would just be another treasure to sit there gathering dust in a chest. And I’m really not keen to just hand it over. I doubt you would be, either.”