Part 54

While many of the men fought for the neighbouring kingdom and their homes those home still offered support. Sending both supplies and cards to those loved ones off on the lines. One who did this was Tommy. But it wasn't to give hope and show appreciation. No he sent his to the Emperor to show he did as asked. He kept the Empire running smoothly. And in reply, received personal letters to thank him, for updating Wilbur or to update him on the war and how it was going. Once a week he received a letter from the Emperor. And another from the general.

As he received the most recent letter Wilbur had barely time to read. The final plan, the final battle. That's what he called it. That's what the troops knew it was. But to that handful who were to carry special orders... It was code for a bugger plan. This was indeed the final battle. If they lost, they wouldn't win. And the Emperor wasn't letting go. He wouldn't let the kingdom fall to these pillagers and armies of the Badlands..

As the morning sun rose over a small valley filling it as the flight on an old ravens wings hit the sky and the single feather which fell landed by a soldiers feet. Picking it up he sighed. "If only the world could see Birds the same as us.  Maybe then it wouldn't be as cold. Maybe they'd understand fighting won't solve anything" he said as he placed the feather into his shirt. Looking over he smiled. "I hope this ends it today" this was one of the few who after the few months still held hope they would win. And his reason? He was of the few tasked to set the final operation. It was to be doomsday for one side and victory for the other. No matter what.

"your something that's for sure Mr Quackity.. " the other whom the first spoke to. Looking to his friend he sighed. His armour and colours were different than the other. One was of Kinoko.. With rich and bold colours of the sea. The other was of the Arctic, with blue and gold. And yet despite being of different homes and lands, the two had a close bond. "I hope younger to go home.. You deserve to"

With a soft laugh Quackity looked forward as he placed his hand on his sword. "Charlie We will both go home. You'll get to go home" he said to the younger. Charlie was only 17 when he was in listed.. He was of Kinoko. An orphan who's home was lost in the war... "I don't know Mr Quackity.. With these orders.. we may not see the stars tonight"

With a smile for his friend Quackity sighed.. "why don't you come back with me when we are done.. come back to Las Nevadas with me."

Las Nevadas was a small city, not to big but big enough to get lost. Quackity was trying to run for the lord of the city. As it didn't yet have one and he had the city on his side. When the war came he had volunteered to save a young boy his friends age. "I know Kinoko doesn't offer what you want. In Las Nevadas I can give you a home.. A family"

With a small smile forming as hope grew in his eyes Charlie nodded. "I would love that Mr Quackity.. But why help me? I don't get it. I am just a nobody" he would go but wanted to know what the raven haired man saw in him.

"Look Charlie. Sometimes there's no reason but want. To help someone" he said laughing as they came to their target.. "You got what we needed?" He asked

Charlie nodded with A smile as he handed a bag to Quackity.. "lets end this war sir.. And get you home!" He seemed much happier than when the journey to the passage.. Treasure pass.. Had started, really it was the happiest he had been this whole time. A small beam of joy coming from his heart.

As they carried the project out, Charlies expression never changed not even once. Just a smile on his face, with happy eyes which now looked for a bright future and not the one he thought of before, the oh so dark desolate one which still had A chance to come.

When the set up was finished Quackity sighed. "One match. And its gone" he said looking back. They had rigged the whole valley in under the time between sunrise and noon. They had been walking all night and morning to get a head of the troops of the other army.

"Mr Quackity... How does the Emperor know this will work? How does he know there shall be a shot fired? And to said area?" Young Charlie did not quite understand the way this worked. As they sat at the end of they valley to rest their tired bones he looked over.

Quackity just laughed. "I know its hard to understand Charlie, to trust an emperor whom you've never met. I never personally spoke to him just took orders. But this man, his luck is beyond his years" he looked back to Charlie's big deep green eyes. It was like looking at the winter trees of pine and spruce. As he smiled.

Yet still Charlie did not understand it. "But sir. How will we get them to shoot this way? And with the arrow we wish?" He had his doubts in luck. His own had been so rotten to him recently.

A sigh came as the other just shook his head. "well Charlie.. Our mission isn't over till this pass is gone. Meaning we are the targets" he said softly. He sounded so calm. "We are to fight along side our kingdoms.. With trust and loyalty okay? Can you do that?"

Being a young man Charlie wasn't so sure he could do such a thing. Put his life right on the front lines? He always was just A runner. Letters, food, supplies for medical, setting and taking things here and there. He never fought! "Promise I won't.. You know" he didn't want to think of it but it came either way

Placing his hand on the boys blue and purple shoulder Quackity smiled. "Charlie. I promise, you'll make it alive. We both will.."