Part 38

As doctors rushed to check the boy, Wilbur was trying to wake him up. Worry ran through his blood. Never before had he felt this way. Not when his father said he would be heir, crowned prince to the Empire. Or when his mother passed away. No, this was a new fear as he held him close.

His pulse was small, breathing short. The blonde was very pale and shaking. The doctors tried to find the problem as he moved just a little. Eyes opened slightly to see tears forming in his masters eyes..

A small whimper came as he reached to his hand. "W-wil" he couldn't even say the full name of the Prince as he struggled to keep consciousness.

Wilbur looked at him trying to not cry, a prince doesn't cry. That's what many told him growing up. A prince does not get so attached to such little people, weak and without words of knowledge. Not a word had ever reached Wilbur so strong until now. He had let himself get attached, his kind spirit clicked with Tommy's energetic and loving one. He grew so fond of him during the year.. He couldn't bare losing him

"Tom, stay awake.. Please don't sleep" he said softly, hiding the fear in his voice. as some tried to take him away. The prince would not let them touch the blonde how ever. "no! Please.. Let me have him" he said broken.

It wasn't till his father walked over that he let the boy go, to be taken care of.  Not till When the Emperor placed his hand on his shoulder and shook his head, did he let go and they took the blonde to a medical wing of the palace.

Immediately, when Tommy was gone, Wilbur broke down sobbing as his father knelt beside him to show some comfort. Signalling the maids and guards of the room to leave them alone.. He knew Wilbur needed space. And he was given it

There on the marble floors of the palace, in a large dining hall of grand stones and woods.. Decorated for a royal family.. Sat a crying prince and his father. Two souls among many, who felt the pain of this.

While Philza never had before known Tommy as personally as His son. He knew how Much others loved him however. Constantly he only heard glorious things for him.  How kind and energetic the boy was. How he didn't just do his job but others as well. He was what kept the palace lively! Full of happy spirits. No-one could pass him without leaving with a smile.

And here the blonde was there sick.. Who knows how bad. Heavens wishes where being given to the boy from everyone, even those who didn't know him. The whole Palace prayed for the boys health. Silently in their heart if not out loud.

Soon Wilbur calmed down to small sniffles and an occasional hiccup. Knowing how distressed his son was, he had a few maids take him to his room for the night. As he went to see the problem.

They had checked Tommy for just about everything.. At first thinking a simple Flu but, it had gotten so bad. And the flu wasn't around the palace, no-one else was feeling ill from being around him.  It wasn't till they looked to his hand did they see a small black thorn in his palm.

They thought it was in discomfort to him and removed it, nothing else being said. It wasn't till the king came in did someone pay attention.

Philza had watched as they tried to bring the fever down, it being high on the boy. Before his eyes fell to the plate with a black thorn. Curious he asked of it. Where it came from, why it was there.

He knew what it was, a Wither Thorn, of a Witherian Rose... Deadly if not treated right. While the flower its self was harmless, the petals often used for dyes and decor. Or the rose as A gift to a loved one, for its rarity was large, the thorns were a different tale.

There was a reason they were hard to come by. Most who find them, can't take them. The bushes are laced with many needle sharp thorns. A single one could kill depending on the age of the plant.

A few years? It wouldn't do much, not much poison. But an older bush, of a decade, would kill an adult in under a day if the thorn was not removed immediately. That was why not many had them. They had to be removed every three years Or one could risk it all for a simple flower. In most lands, it was illegal to own the bush, and for one you had to go to a special gardener to harvest..

Seeing the thorn he ordered an antidote immediately to be given. The doctors were very curious but listened as they gave tommy a small bit of medicine. He hoped now, it was a younger plant he accidentally hit..

With the boy hopefully taken care of he left, still having things to attend to. Meetings and duties of an emperor could not be delayed for any reason sadly. He just prayed his son would be alright and the servant would get better.

Never before had the palace been so quiet. Without the running of a young teens feet across the halls all hours of the day and his small laughs to musicians music there was nothing. For a while, it was silent.

Wilbur seemed to only want to be by his aides side. He would stay in the room, knowing he was not contagious. No one could move him, not the guards his maid or even his father. He was bent on being there. Changing the cold clothe once a hour on the boys head to keep a fever away. And making sure he was comfortable in his own room, his bed.. He had moved Tommy, a simple servant. To his quarters.

Yet, the boy was asleep. No-one knew how long he would be out.. Or if he would wake up. But the prince had hope as he sat every day and night beside him watching with a faith in his heart.. Strongly believing he wouldn't leave.

Tommy couldn't leave Wilbur.. Not like his mother. He wouldn't make it through that again.