part 45

Of course, Tommy pushed all things aside.. Had to know what was it he just saw. As he walked with a question in mind to the prince. He never spoke to Phil unless absolutely needed. No, he never would bother the Emperor.

Wilbur had been in the grand library, talking with a maid as she worked. When he noticed the blonde he immediately stopped and turned to face him "Tommy! What are you doing?" It was strange to see him inside when he had free time. The blonde normally never was inside. He loved the snow as it fell in the gardens.

Tommy sighed. "Wilbur? The picture in the north wing, on that one empty wall... When was it painted?" He asked curiously.

The question was an odd one for sure as the prince thought about it. When was it? "Oh I had to be at least three. Maybe four years old" he smiled "why do you ask?"

He frowned "Your mother.. She had another child?"

That had Wilbur frown "Died shortly after birth.  Please do not bring it up" that small memory was never a grand one. He hated it. Nothing had gone wrong and yet.. The child never made it.

The blonde seemed very bothered now with the date confirmed.  "where is your father?" He asked immediately

Wilbur shrugged "throne room or study.. " he said softly as the boy walked away. It was odd.. Why did tommy ask such questions? Sure he was an odd child but why now? And why about his family?

Tommy got directions farther into the palace from maids and guards on where the emperor was. He was in his study and Tommy was allowed in. He was just reading old letters they said.

The blonde teen knocked before entering "your Majesty? May we talk?" He spoke softly and a bit nervous. He never dared bring up the empress around him, would this be okay?

Phil turned and gave a smile to him "of course! Come.. Sit" he offered a place in another chair nearby as he pushed his letters aside and looked at him "is there a problem young one?" He was never sure what name to call tommy. Theseus as given from birth. Of Tommy. The name alias people used so often.

Sitting there in the chair of velvet surrounded by books and papers he asked the same thing he asked the prince. And he received the same answers.. Though instead of asking to move the subject, the Emperor got curious himself. "now.. Why ask about such an old picture. It happened seventeen years ago"

A sigh came as well as a reply to him. "Your majesty, in the picture.. There's a small ruby pendant and silver chain.. " that was the strange part. That was what caught his eye. "The same one I wear" he showed it and looked at him. The pendant never left his side since the incident with Lord Shlatt.

The emperor seemed amazed by it. "Why, my wife use to have one. She gave it to her sister before she left the village. She use to visit one every three years"

Tommy was connecting dots here slowly. The pendant his mother. The empress. Yet something was missing and he knew it.

"So the Empress.. Had one?" He asked softly.. His mother said that his father gave it to her. Did she lie to hide the fact he was related to the royals? He didn't understand why she would though.. He would never leave without reason.

"yes.. She gave it to her sister after the death of our son.. It was to be a gift to our son, but seeing he didn't make it she gave it to her."

Tommy nodded and thought about it.."Sire? Why did the child not make it?" Something was not lining up right. He should be satisfied by these answers so why was he asking for more answers.. He should not be doing this.

The emperor sighed "Miscarriage.. Nothing we could do about it" he frowned. It was a sensitive subject how he was pushing and it showed. "Tommy.. I think you should go, perhaps the library will give you answers" he sighed. Before turning back to his other work.

The blonde wanted to continue but nodded and left down the halls. He should of held his tongue. He should of kept the questions away.. Why did he wish to get to the bottom of his feelings. He never did before.

A maid showed him the way to the royal lineage of the castles rulers and families before leaving him be. As he rummaged through the countless books. Marriage records, record of Coronation, death letters, final wills, gosh none of this was what he wanted.. Till he spotted it. Children records of the Royal lineage.

He quickly pulled it down and opened it, reading names that dated way back to when the kingdom first came to be. He skipped through to find the recent family of royals. The book tracked the Emperor, empress and their children.. Their siblings And their children. And so on, down to grand children and grand nieces or nephews. If not a prince or princess they were crowned Duke and duchess. Often by then It seemed most moved away.

The complicated times and many names was hard to find whom he wished for but finally he found it. Emperor Philza, and His Wife, Kristin. Parents of two. Prince Wilbur, and A child unknown. He scanned the records for dates times locations and paused..

The names under the family had been left unknown but instead read of a place a scenery.

Auburn Meadows, that's where my son was to be born.. Not a palace so grand. Or a hospital so cluttered. But under the golden leaves of the outskirts. Alas my poor son never got to see the trees. He rests now with my family long ago

The entry was left on the note as his eyes widened.. Auburn Meadows? Kristin had been a maid. Was her son, his cousin, really one who died there? But he should of seen the grave. Surely he would of.. And his mother never brought anything up about it. Just that she had a sister. This caused the boy to think

All night in his room, the moon shining through his window as he laid on his bed, the boy thought. The story was missing. The dates.. What was the dates? He fell asleep thinking of such, trying to gain some knowledge as he did.