part 24

Tommy had slept well that night and woke early Like always, but this time instead of going to the princes room and waking him, or to the kitchen to see if they needed help on the breakfast menu and plans of the day, he stayed in his room getting few things he had. He took part of his saved earnings of work, and left the rest. To make sure he'd come back. Even if Wilbur didn't want him to, he would have a reason. He knew he would want to stray when he saw the trees again, and needed a second reason.

He got a spare set of clothes and the dagger. The same one used to harm his shoulder, attempt to kill the prince whom he served so loyally. Someone had found it in the royal gardens and when they heard of the wound Tommy had sustained from a knife of some sorts, they decided to give it to him. To chose what to do with it. Of course, he kept it.

Wilbur could barely contain his excitement, both for himself and Tommy. He had never been this far south before! It was excited and oh so beautifully new to him. In all honesty, he had never been that far from the castle, only ever wandering down into the noble towns right by the palace. He never traveled far enough to get to the borders, especially.

He never saw the frigidness and near constant winters of the northern empire, nor the fiery leaves of autumn in the south. Especially since the palace was much farther from the latter of the two.

“Come, come! I packed everything we may need. We just need to grab the horses and get going! And probably eat some breakfast and bid father goodbye.” He rambled off, handing Tommy his own bag as the prince started heading through the halls.

He grabbed them some quick breakfast, eating the pastry on his way to the stables. “You can choose any horse that suits your fancy once we get down there. Well, besides Carl  and Friend of course.” He smiles, looking back at the boy.

Tommy had taken the bag and ran to catch up. He took a simple small apple, red and shined. He didn't need much anyways, he knew he'd be fine. As he trailed behind the prince so faithfully and yet, as if he just got there. Like the boy who looked around ever so carefully when he first got his job. But instead of being careful he was spirited. He waved to the maids and other servants he passed, silently bidding a small farewell. Though he knew he would be back one day. The trip wouldn't be short that's for sure.

When they reached the stables, Tommy knew which two horses not to touch. The one with a blue saddle, and the one The general used. So, he opted for one he knew. He once rode a horse, just for fun at Lord Shlatt’s. So he knew how to saddle it and get on carefully. As he picked a black steer with white boots for hooves. He smiled at the prince ever so eager to go. But he'd wait. He had waited this far, he could go farther.

Wilbur loved seeing how much Tommy had changed since he first arrived at the palace. He went from a reserved and shy kid to being more open. It was amazing to see, if he was being honest. He happily lifted himself up into Friend’s blue saddle, rubbing the greyish horse’s neck gently.

He smiled towards Tommy, gripping onto the reins. “You ready?!” He asked excitedly. As soon as he got confirmation, he kicked the horse’s sides and started to trot off towards the front gates.

Their journey began not long after that, the two trotting through the first town. “This is going to be a long journey, but I packed plenty of gold and clothing. Mostly what I used to wear in order to seem like less of a target.” He snickered, looking towards Tommy with a wide grin.

Tommy was silent through the ride, as he glanced at every little thing of every small village or town they passed. His eyes kept a close eye on the trees the most. From pine trees to oak and birch. Green with the warm summers end. It wouldn't be long before they turned brown, and shed Their leaves for winter.

But he was focused on the one special tree, the Maple. Who's leaves turned late summer, before all others dared to try. The first day, no signs, they were to far into the heartland of the kingdom. Just Pine and occasionally a few Oak or Willows near a flooded area, which he smiled at. His land never was able to grow long trees like that, it was drier there. On the second day how ever, he saw his first one. His first golden tree.

He stopped the horse immediately, and dismounted it running down a small hill to a creek. He didn't say a word to Wilbur as he did so, just a smile came. When he reached it, he placed his hand on the bark, to feel the stickiness of its sap. "Wilbur! Look!" He called excited. It was indeed, a Maple.

Wilbur was looking around damn near constantly to make sure nothing went wrong. His father did warn them about bandits and thieves staying around the roads, after all. He would rather not have to deal with them. Or, at least be aware of them if anything happened. But, luckily, nobody messed with them. He saw some sketchy people in the woods, but it seemed the scruffier cloaks worked to hide their identity, and protect them a bit. The thieves never messed with them, likely believing they weren’t worth it. Especially since Wilbur was looking around near constantly.

He jolted once Tommy started stopped and ran until the woods, pulling Friend to a stop quickly. He hopped off the horse, jogging to follow Tommy. He stopped a bit back, a smile spreading across his face as he realized what happened. “We’re close.” He says happily, going up to Tommy. He puts his hand on the trunk, humming, “it’s stickier than I imagined, but just as gorgeous.” He said softly, looking up at the leaves.

Tommy looked full of joy. As he turned his eyes to the prince, he smiled ever so brightly before going back to the horses. He got back on and took the reigns again before wiping his face. He could feel a tear drop off it and wanted to hide it.

Knowing these parts Tommy did his best to remain silent as not to cause to much attention. Look like travellers or simple sight seers. He knew thieves wouldn't go after common people. The ones from around here, didn't carry much on them and neither did they.

As tommy rode on again, more and more trees came easy with a different look and smile. though the trip was to of taken four or five days before they reached the home village, the mileage had been made in just two and a half. He would of missed it, as they rode through, if he didn't spot a stone statue ever so familiar in the towns centre. With it, he looked in shock. No longer was it a small village but a decent sized town. "Wilbur, stop your house please" he said as he stopped at the statue. For the first time in years, he was home.