part 26

Wilbur followed quickly, warm smile never drifting from his face. He glanced around at the swords, spears, armor, and other such items hanging up and on display. He had never seen so many different, well made weapons. The royal armory had so many more swords and spears and such, but it was all of similar look and quality. All simple.

These swords had specially made hilts, some even had carvings on the blade. He had to stop himself from stopping to gawk, instead just following Tommy past the few customers and singular worker inside the building. He was confused until he noticed the man.

The prince stopped in the doorway, eyes wide as he looked up at the other. This man was nearly a head taller than Wilbur, and the royal himself was incredibly tall. It was impressive, honestly. He shook himself out of his mind, looking back towards Tommy with a soft smile. He hadn’t ever seen Tommy this happy. He was content and smiling, sure, but the grin never seemed to leave his face now. It made Wilbur’s heart both warm and sink at the same time.

Wilbur looked back towards the man as he was addressed, shaking his head. “No need, I’m just here with him.” He said softly, referring to Tommy.

Bad smiled. "Well in that case, welcome to the Eggpire Blacksmith. Any friend of Theseus is a friend of mine" He called Tommy that, as it was his real name. He messed the blondes hair up as they let go of each other. "You kinda had me shocked Theseus. I thought you were your father for a minute there"

He laughed a little about it, he and the boys father were very close growing up. "This man, is he your brother or something?" It was clear, Bad had never met a royal from the palace before. Nor had he ever seen a picture of Wilbur. He didn't follow much political business unless it was within the town.

Tommy shook his head quickly. "no. He's not my brother, remember. I don't have siblings" He looked to Wilbur and backed up next to him. "This is Wilbur. He is my master from a far place. He brought me here to see the maple trees again"

Bad sighed and looked to the brunette. "I am sorry then. For mistaking you for such sir" he said with a bow. He knew Tommy meant he was from. "We don't get many visitors from the Capitol. Least from the palace"

Wilbur smiled, nodding. “I’m glad.” He said softly, a bit surprised to hear Tommy being referred to as Theseus. He had never heard anyone call him that, but he supposed this was his home town. If Tommy had a longer version of his name, or even an ancient nickname, the people who stayed here since then would definitely know it.

It warmed his heart to see Tommy interacting with old friends, glad that they didn’t end up coming to find a shell of Tommy’s childhood memories. Instead, the area seemed even more bustling than ever.

The prince startled at the question, looking wide-eyes at bad. They seemed like siblings? That- that was both shocking and heart-warming. He shook that thought away quickly, though, opening his mouth to deny when Tommy beat him to it. He just smiled softly at bad, “it’s nice to meet you-“ he started, being taken aback a bit by the words. “Oh! No, no, don't apologize.” He insisted quickly, putting his hands up.

Bad smiled brightly as Tommy giggled. "How is your mother Theseus, she hasn't visited" Tommy looked down a bit upset at that mentioning of his mother. "She passed away sir. Just after we left" the man in black and red seemed to understand. And have a sorrowful look to him. "Well, I do hope life has treated you well for these years you've been gone" Tommy nodded, a partial lie, but not fully. It was in and out of happiness and sorrow for him. "As you see the village had grown while your father was gone. They wanted to fin you when it was finished"

Tommy's eyes lit up at that. Why did they want to find him? "May I ask why find a young boy? Did they hope I would take authority after him?" From this way they talked, it was clear, while the town was in Wilbur's Kingdom, they were so far away from any political reign and orders, that they had their own way of running things, like a tribe.

Bad nodded and looked at him. "They couldn't find you and we feared you had fallen with your father. I am glad to see we were wrong"

While Tommy was also glad, he felt a bit out of place now. His mother was supposed to take him back here for that reason, when she fell ill. And he forgotten about it all.

Wilbur felt like like he was invading on a very sensitive conversation now, stepping back a few steps to give the two some space. He wasn’t sure what was going on, and couldn’t find it in himself to ask any questions either. He could piece enough together, anyways.

Though, a few bits of the conversation had made his heart sink into his stomach. The people here had hoped Tommy would become a sort of leader in this town… did they still hold that hope? Would Tommy want that, is the true question. Being a pseudo-ruler of your childhood town as opposed to being a servant wasn’t a difficult decision to make. And Wilbur would help to make it happen if Tommy so chose. Or even if he showed any secret interest in moving back here and leading his people.

Wilbur always knew that was risk in bringing Tommy here, and he pushed the thought away any time it reared it’s ugly head. But now, he actually had to face with the possibility of losing the boy who was the only one in the entire kingdom who held the title as an actual friend to the prince. And he knew, if and when it came down to it, he would have to let him go.

Tommy looked at the man infront of him. He knew he was still expected to help govern over this place. Be its leader, help them. But they seemed like they were doing just fine to him. They had rebuilt the village into a nice town, and it seemed the people were happy.

With a sigh he smiled. "As much as I know you'd love me to stay Mr Halo. I must decline" for a teenager, Tommy had manners like no other. He politely bowed as a sign of respect before standing straight. "It was my duty all those years ago, and I know that. But now I have a new one. I am to serve Wilbur here, and np matter how much my heart aches to stay here, I will not listen to it"

He was more loyal to the prince than his own people. He wouldn't accept the offer. While many in his situation would, he was to loyal to do so.

Bad laughed kindly. "I see, you'd rather serve his Highness than rule again. I do not blame you for it" he looked to Wilbur to see his reaction now. He had seen the one before, the one that read, he didn't want to let go of Tommy. "you must be very proud to know Theseus is so loyal to those who took his family away" he didn't say it with any hatred.

Tommy frowned. "Master Wilbur had nothing to do with that. Do not blame him sir" he said defending him. His history ran deeper than what he told Wilbur. He knew every bit of it by heart, even if he didn't want to.