part 39

Tommy was asleep, still and silent, for three weeks with a raging fever. Constantly being watched by maids and a doctor on hand at all times. So if he ever needed something, or if he woke, they would alert someone.

For a servant, a simple aide of a prince this seemed over work. But no. Wilbur had ordered everything to be perfect for the lad. Even so, he was dressed in soft clothes and a constant cold cloth was on hi forehead to try And keep the fever down. They had even set the boy in the princes room under orders of his majesty.

And that's where Tommy was, in the room resting. Wilbur was not there at the time, as even he could not get away from his royal duties. While he was allowed every night to sit by the lad after Midday meal, he still had his royal studies to do and an occasional meeting to learn how to rule right.

On a particular cold day, with birds outside singing, the palace was silent. The sun peaking over the trees of the once so lovely gardens. Winter was here, snow had fallen the night before. Autumn never stayed long, it lasted a little over month max and then left to wait another year.

There was a fire lit in the room, as a breeze brushed past the window rattling it a little. As a man sat beside the young blonde servant in the room of a royal prince.  The Emperor himself had decided to see the young male.

Sitting beside in a chair, hands in his lap he looked to Tommy. He never knew how much Wilbur loved him, but he could get a close guess. He had seen this before. This sickness and the hope the palace had. It was history repeating before his eyes.

Gently he moved his hands to the blondes, holding it carefully. "You know, he cares for you.. He prays each day you wake up" he spoke softly as if in a whisper to the boy.  "If not for yourself, please, for my son"

Wilbur had clearly grown desperate for the boy. He would sit hours silently by him, and while there wouldn't let any of the other servants attend the boy. Any work to be done he did himself.  Changing the cloth or adjusting the pillows when it was clear he was uncomfortable.. He was there to help.

And Phil saw it. Each day the hope in his sons eyes to have the boy wake up. "I will leave you be now.. Sleep well" he said as he stood letting go of the boys hand and beginning to walk away when suddenly he felt something tap his wrist.

Looking behind him shocked he found small blue eyes looking at him carefully. Half open but awake, As he looked to the king, a small bit of confusion was in his eyes.

"Papa?" He spoke softly and in a hoarse voice. He thought The emperor was his father. He looked like him. To the blonde he seemed just like him. His vision blurred by pain of a great headache and tears. He knew well however his father was gone, slain by the men in green years ago.

Phil sighed "not your father, I am sorry Tommy. I don't know where he is at" he was sure someone told him Tommy was an orphan, raised alone after a while.

"Sorry Sire" he whispered realising his mistake now as he pulled his hand back. "You look like him" he clearly missed his father, as the boy who rarely cried let tears fall down his face. He had really hoped it was him.

The Emperor sighed, and looked at him softly "Tommy, That's alright to miss someone.. Even I miss my father" he said as he looked to him and the to the door. "Wish for me to summon Wilbur? He is in his studies right now"

The boy shook his head as much as he could before a small cry of pain came. It hurt to move. "No.. " a simple small answer came as he did not wish to interrupt his master work. He knew he needed to do it, and Tommy felt summoning the prince would stop his progression in his work.

So he didn't call, And Phil ended up staying by the boys side, softly speaking as not to make any headache worse for him. He spoke and the boy listened for an hour or two before asking a question. "Tell me Tommy, where was the thorn from?" He had to ask, so he knew how old the Bush which caused this was.

He sighed. "Home, next to my house" he muttered, he was trying to speak more to be polite. "mum use to grow them.. Bad kept them.. At two"

Phil sighed, Tommy seemed a boy of many things. Knowing how to work with much things. Carving, Painting, and even now gardening?  He knew it all. "Then I am glad it was a young bush.." He Said softly. "but why be near it? You know how deadly they can be correct?"

The blonde gave a hum of a response for yes. "The rose sire.. Your rose" he slurred his words a little, having now found it to be difficult keeping awake. As his eyes closed and he tried to relax.

The Emperor nodded and stood "Very well, get better..your still needed" he said as he left the room and the blonde drifted off once more.

Wilbur had not heard the boy woke up when lessons ended at midday and he was released for attend his side. He did find it odd, he was moved to a different spot of the bed.. No longer the centre but to the right side a little. But that was alright he supposed. Maybe someone moved him to be more comfortable there.

He sat by and looked to the boy, moving a few stray locks of hair out of his face. Like most days he found it hard to not cry infront of him. It hurt to see him so sick and hurt.  As he sat once more, for hours.. Awaiting him to awaken.

Then the boy had, slowly cracking his eye lids open to see his master by his side. Had the meeting with the Emperor been a dream? A hallucination perhaps.

Wilbur noticed him as he smiled "hey bud.. Welcome back" he spoke softly like his father had to Tommy, to not startle him to much. "You scared me pretty bad ... " he said as he looked at him

Tommy felt no strength to speak as he nodded a little and finally looked around the room. Seeing the decor of it, royal blues and reds, gold a little around he knew this was not his. Trying to sit up a little worried but pushed back gently as not to be hurt.

"Please.. Don't try to get up Tommy" it was the prince keeping him there. "You still need your rest"

The boy whimpered as he felt bad. "Where.. You sleep then?" He asked in another soft broken whisper. To which wilbur pointed to a sofa in the corner of the room.. "Over there, to watch you. Well, when I did sleep"

Wilbur had barely slept within the time Tommy was out cold. More worried than anything to get many hours of it. And it was showing in his tired eyes, yet filled with love and joy.

The boy frowned, knowing wilbur spent most days sitting in the oak chair beside the bed instead..  "you can't be.. Comfortable there" he was sure it was not the best.. Surely Wilbur wouldn't sit there much longer.

Wilbur smiled as he walked around the bed, to sit down on the other side  and pulled the boy close, running his hand through his hair. "Here.. I will sit here instead then"

A clear disapproval crossed the blondes face but he made no attempt to fight back against him, as he stayed close. Wilbur was warm to him, the room was freezing as the fire nearby was slowly dying. Feeling the covers be pulled close around him, he fell asleep to a soft humming of a soft sweet song.