part 16

Wilbur was standing by nervously as the doctor got everything out. He wanted to comfort Tommy; he desperately wanted to go help the boy however he could. They had grown close ever since Tommy came to the castle, especially after he saved the prince's life and actually talked around him. Wilbur could tell how tense Tommy was, and he wanted to help in some way.

The doctor soon peeled the fabric away from the wound, dabbing away the blood to see how bad it was. Wilbur chose that time to go to Tommy, sitting beside him on the cot in order to make sure he was doing ok. The doctor gave him an odd glance, but Wilbur ignored it. He opted to just focus on Tommy.

The doctor began stitching the wound closed after rubbing on some alcohol and peroxide, and Wilbur tensed a bit. He tried to comfort Tommy a bit during this, looking over towards him in slight worry.

Tommy kept flinching every time the wound was touched, as it sent a wave of pain through his shoulder. But when Wilbur sat by him, it seemed to grow less noticeable as it wasn't that bad anymore, just one here or there. He wanted to scream in pain, but kept it in as a few tears slid down his cheeks, and onto his lap below.

With in these past few months, since he left Lord Shlatt's, Tommy had grown used to Wilbur, and life in the castle. Originally he didn't think he'd last more than a week, but here he was, six months later, relying on the prince for some sort of comfort.

When the doctor finished, he gave Wilbur a smile, as he was glad he was safe, trust was built. Something he always had trouble with. Though he couldn't move his shoulder due to the stitching, and the fact it may come undone if he did move it to much, he was satisfied with it.

"Done?" He asked, as he looked to the doctor. Tilting his head ever so slightly as he asked the one worded question. No-one heard his question.

Wilbur gently took Tommy's hand into his own as soon as the tears came, squeezing it reassuringly. The doctor gave him a couple odd glances which he pointedly ignored. He just gave a gentle smile to the boy, trying to take some of his attention away from the pain. "It'll be ok, Toms... your almost finished." He reassured, squeezing his hand gently.

The doctor pulled away once finished, nodding. "He should be healed in a few weeks. In the meantime, make sure he doesn't overdo himself." Wilbur nodded in understanding, helping Tommy to his feet. "Thank you for helping him." He said to the doctor before leading Tommy out of the medical wing. He made sure to support Tommy a small bit as they made their way to the boy's room.

"You should get some rest, Toms... let the wound get a head start on healing." he gently reminded, looking over to Tommy with concern lacing his expression. "I'm not letting you further hurt yourself. Or even risk it, for that matter."

Tommy held on the whole way, and even let Wilbur help him up. Though, he did notice the odd glances they were given by the doctor, and felt bad because of them. He knew what they meant. Wilbur shouldn't have to care so Much about him. The prince shouldn't have to worry over a single servant. when there were others who could replace him any day. That's what most of the other maids and servants couldn't see. They couldn't see the bond the two made recently.

As they walked back down the halls, he just looked to the floor, and his feet. Moving one in front of the other, until they reached his room. He did hear Wilbur's warning, and concern lacing his voice.

"sorry" he said as he sat on his bed and refused to look at him. "I'm sorry for what happened" Though he knew it wasn't his fault, he felt bad that Wilbur had almost been hurt, and for the looks he received from the others. He felt it was his fault for them. Tommy looked to his injury and darted his eyes away from it. They now rested upon a drawer, where he kept the kitchen knife, and piece of wood from last night.

Wilbur had never expected himself to get as close to Tommy as he had over the last few weeks. At first it just felt like the right thing to do, even possibly temporary until Tommy could go and be free out in the towns and such. It had simply been the fact that he hated how the lower classes, especially servants, are so commonly treated by their employers.

He had planned on just providing Tommy with a job and, when deemed acceptable, buy his freedom. But now a friendship has bloomed. He couldn't imagine Tommy not being at the castle with how much he helped along with his general personality. He was a kind and selfless kid that Wilbur had grown painfully attached to and would probably do just about anything for. The fact Tommy was so mistreated before he arrived at the castle made his stomach turn and bile rise in his throat not simply because of the atrocity itself, but because it was Tommy they were happening to.

The prince perked up at the words, glancing over towards Tommy with a warm smile. "Did you now? You really didn't have to-" he stopped as he opened the nightstand and took in the careful carved wood block. He gently picked it up, as if even the slightest touch would render it to splinters, and looked closely at the carvings. He was rendered completely speechless as he studied each intricate detail, taking in how much Tommy was revealing to him in each carving.

He recognized some things, either from what Tommy had told him or what he could infer, and anything new just felt like a piece of Tommy being put out there for him to see and know. He looked over to Tommy slowly as he felt some tears slightly build up at the display of trust and heart. "You... you made this... for me?" He croaked out, so soft it could have been missed if the room wasn't otherwise silent.