part 22

Wilbur noticed the longing look, something painful twisting in his gut. He knew how loyal Tommy was to him, how close of a bond they had grown over the past months. But, a part of him still wondered if Tommy would rather be back to his homeland. If he would rather be free. He hated how a part of him grew feared and anxious at that aspect. If Tommy asked to go, Wilbur would let him. He knew he would, without a second thought.

But, the very concept of Tommy no longer being the right hand he had grown to become. That he would move on from being Wilbur’s most trusted servant-and more importantly, his friend- was horrifying to the prince. But, he would make an offer he hoped could make Tommy happy.

He looked Towards the boy, studying that longing look for a moment, before speaking, “would you like to visit it? Where you originally came from? As close as I could probably get to it anyways.” He suggested, a bit hesitant and nervous.

Tommy attention diverted from the painting on his wall to Wilbur, eyes widened with excitement. Did he mean it? Did he actually say that or had he just imagined Wilbur offering it? Oh how he prayed it was true as he thought of his answer. To go would mean taking Wilbur from his duties as Prince, and he wasn't sure how the Kings would feel about it. Just because Wilbur had been given permission to stay with him till healed up, didn't mean he would have the permission to leave like that. But he wanted to go home.

A nod came, slowly with hesitation. "I wish to see it one more time please?" He would go alone if he was told he could. But he would deny it first. Loyalty came first.

The hope of seeing it, the trees of gold and Auburn colours. Had him almost excited. But of course he could of misheard Wilbur, or imagined it. It wouldn't be the first time he thought someone had said something to him just for it to not be true. As he looked to the prince he served, he held hope.

Wilbur’s face could have became any more gentle and kind towards the boy, it would have. The way Tommy had perked up at the idea made his heart both twist painfully and warm at the same time. It was as if he was afraid the prince would take the opportunity away at any moment. Like he was afraid to even hope. It was painful, to see a boy so kind hearted this hesitant and nervous. But, Wilbur was happy to see Tommy this excited.

He smiled, nodding. “Of course. We could go later this week? Once your wound heals a small bit more and I get approval, we can get going. I have no doubt that Father will allow us to go, however.” He smiles reassuringly, a small bit excited to begin the journey. “I’ll take you as far as I can. I’m not sure whether your actual home land is in enemy territory or not, but I will take you as close as I possibly can.” He continued.

A bright smile placed on the boys face could never be wider. As he grew very excited to hear it The chance to go see his homeland was perfect! He could go back if they got permission. He could tell Wilbur was afraid he'd leave him, as he could read the princes emotions pretty easy at this point. The few months he had been there so far, and he had learned so much. A very observant teen.

"Do not worry Sire. I will not leave you yet" he said as he laid down on his bed, resting his head on the pillow. "I would never dream of it" he wouldn't leave. He'd always come back. His land was on the boarder but not far enough for Wilbur to have to stay behind.

With a slight yawn, he looked to his master. "Its not in enemy land. Its your kingdom, do not fear" He began to close his eyes, as the pain in his shoulder had come back, and after the hours of painting he was physically tired. But mentally he was more than perfect. With the idea now strewn in his mind with hope.

Wilbur stiffened a bit. He knew? Dang it. he thought he had been harder to read than that, especially with something like this. “You can if you want,” he started gently, “I don’t wanna force you to stay here, especially when you deserve to be free.” He finished gently. If tommy ever desired to leave, Wilbur would let him in a heartbeat.

He was relieved to learn the area  was on their land. “Good… I’ll ask father tonight and we shall leave in the morning.“ he decided, standing up. It was getting late, and he noticed Tommy getting tired. “You should get some rest.” He reminded gently. He smiled, ruffling Tommy’s hair gently before exiting.

Tommy smiled as he drifted off completely into a peaceful sleep. He would pray the king allowed it. Though close to enemy lands, he knew they would be alright. Maybe a few encounters could happen but it would be rare to ever see someone from another nation there in his home or within miles of it. It stayed by itself.

Wilbur walked quickly to his father’s office, knocking before entering the room. “Father, I wish to ask of  something.” He said softly, a bit hesitant. “I wish to take Tommy to visit his homeland, a small town near the southern border.” He asked, looking hopeful

Philza was going over letters when his son knocked and he looked up to see him enter, A smile forming when he saw his eyes lined with hope for something. "Alright" he said to the question waiting for it.

When heard the request, he frowned. "Wilbur, that's dangerous. To dangerous. Wether it be on Friendly land or not. I will not permit you to go, as I know not the distance it is from it and we have enough problems with them. I will not risk your safety" although Tommy had served ever so Faithfully, he could not risk it.

"I am sorry Wilbur. But I shall have to put you before a servant" He knew how much his son hated being out above an ordinary person, and above servants and slaves. But not just as the king, but as his father, he could not let him go without assuring he'd be safe

Wilbur went to sit down in front of Phil’s desk, hands folded on his lap. He frowns a small bit at the rejection, anxiety curling in his gut before determination snuffed it out. He had snuck out without his father’s permission before, he could do it again. He would try to convince the king first, but if worse came to worse, he knew the rounds the guards made.

“It’s within our border, I believe. Near the border, but we won’t travel into other lands. It will be a long journey, but only because our own borders span so far. We will be careful either way.” He tacked on, trying to convince his father with nigh logic and reassurance.

“I just want Tommy to see the fall leaves he used to see in his old home. We have so many evergreens this far north, and with winter and autumn slowly approaching, this is the best time to go for a visit. If we manage to actually visit his home, that would be ideal, but we won’t breach the borders.I promise.” He continued, even if it wasn’t a full truth. He would do whatever it took to give Tommy this little thing, even if he had to go a bit behind us father’s back. He wouldn’t do anything too dangerous, but if Tommy’s home town just so happened to be in safe ally land, Wilbur would risk the slim chance that something could happen.