3

As soon as the parents heard Voight, they rushed in without hesitation.

"Kam," Hailey said, the second she saw her daughter.

Voight was calling for an ambulance as Jay and Hailey were attempting to wake the teenager up.

"Kamryn Grace Halstead. Come on honey wake up" Jay practically begged her.

"Kam please come on" Hailey also begged.

Kamryn coughed and started slowly waking up, looking up at them. The young girl had a black eye, her nose had been bleeding, busted lip, she had a concussion, she'd been stabbed but she was hanging on.

"You found me?" She mumbled.

"Yeah, baby. Yeah, we found you. And we caught the ones who did it" Hailey told her, a few tears running down her face.

Kamryn had managed to lay on her stomach and on her hand that wasn't cuffed to hold pressure on her wounds. She'd lost a ton of blood, despite her efforts. Voight had found the key to the cuffs close, and uncuffed the child so she was free.

"Hell with this, I'm not waiting," Jay said, and swiftly picked Kamryn up.

"Jay she needs help, leave her down," Voight told him but the man was already carrying his daughter up the steps.

He carefully laid her in the back of the truck, Hailey jumping in the driver's seat. As that was happening, the teenager was fighting the urge to sleep.

"Kam. Kam. No. You stay here okay? You look at me" Jay told her with a little shake.

"Daddy I'm so tired" Kamryn mumbled, which made Hailey step on the gas a little harder.

"No, you're not. You stay here. Look at me. Okay? Eyes on me" Jay told her, hoping they would get there soon. He looked out the window quickly but as soon as he looked back, Kamryn had passed out. "No, no, no. Kamryn! Wake up!"

As soon as they pulled up to med, Jay immediately but carefully handed his child over to the medical team. They sat in the waiting room, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Something they never imagined having to do.

After wrapping up the crime scene, the whole team came into med. Hailey and Jay were still in the waiting room.

"How is she?" Voight asked as everyone surrounded the couple.

"In surgery. She held on" Hailey told them all sadly.

So they all waited. That was all they could do.

"Jay," Will said as he came out. "I just heard, is Kam okay?"

"We don't know. She's been in surgery a little bit" Jay told his brother.

"Think you can go back and check on her?"

"Yeah. I'll go check in" Will nodded, immediately heading back to the surgical area to check on his niece, unfortunately coming back without much of an update.

——————

Doctor Marcel soon came out of the back and towards the worried parents.

"Is she okay?" Hailey asked before the doctor even reached them.

"She's in recovery now. She did a good job holding on, she's going to make a full recovery. It was messy but she managed to keep the pressure on it. Her concussion will heal, and we stitched up her lip and she's just resting. She'll need to rest a few days before I discharge her but hopefully by the end of the week"

"Can we see her?" Jay asked, seeming almost antsy.

"Of course," the doctor said and took the parents back to their injured child.

Kamryn was sleeping and looked so fragile in the big bed. They quietly sat at her side, waiting on any movement or sound from her. All they heard for hours was the constant beeping of the EKG, but it was reassurance that their daughter was alive.

——————

"Mom" Came a little mumble from Kamryn in her bed.

Both Jay and Hailey jumped up to see their daughter looking over at them. She was half asleep but she was awake.

"Hey Kam" Hailey smiled slightly, "how you feeling?"

"I don't know" Kamryn mumbled, still pretty disoriented. "I'm cold"

"Will you get her another blanket please?" Jay asked the nurse who had just come in. She nodded and soon returned with a heavier blanket that Jay spread over his daughter.

"Better Kam?" Jay asked but when he looked up at her, she'd just fallen asleep again.

——————

Both Jay and Hailey had dozed off in the uncomfortable hospital chairs when they heard Kamryn start stirring. Kamryn's eyes soon shot open as she tried to sit up, but was held down by Jay.

"It's okay honey. It's just me. Just me. Take a deep breath" Jay told his daughter, who listened and did as he said. "Good job honey."

"He got me," Kam told him with a very shaky voice, looking between him and Hailey.

"They can't get you anymore," Hailey told her, carefully getting in bed with her. Jay did on her other side, both wanting her to feel safe again. With them beside her, she easily fell asleep again.

——————

When Jay woke up in the morning, Hailey was out of bed already and Kamryn was cuddled into his side.

The team had come by, Hailey bringing them back to at least see her. Jay held a finger up to his lips, giving them the quiet sign. He wanted Kamryn to sleep as much as she could, even though they all thought she would be awake by now.

"She's been sleeping pretty much since the surgery. Just woke up once with a nightmare." Hailey quietly told them, watching their daughter sleep. No one had ever seen Kamryn in this condition, the most they'd ever seen was a skinned knee. Even in volleyball, she'd never gotten hurt, by some miracle.

Kamryn stirred a little later, while the team was still there. Good thing, because with no movement, Jay's arm had fallen asleep but he didn't want to wake his sleeping daughter.

"How you feeling sweetie?" He whispered, knowing she'd take a minute.

"Daddy, don't ask questions you know the answer to. I feel like I got stabbed and kicked" Kamryn mumbled with a little sass in her voice, rolling over and settling back to sleep.

"Safe to say, nothing injured her sass" Atwater chuckled, along with the rest of them.

"Alright, let's head out, let her sleep," Voight said, all of them nodding and leaving after saying goodbye to Jay and Hailey.

Hailey had called the school and made sure everything was set with her assignments. All there was left to do was watch her and make sure everything was okay.