30

SURPRISE!!!! I'm super ahead on chapters and really excited for this update and little storyline, sooooo hope you enjoy! The next update will be Saturday!!

——————

"Dad!" Kam got Jay's attention as she came through the doors of the ED.

"She's fine. She got really lucky," Jay told his child, pulling her into his arms and resting his chin on the top of her head. "You wanna see her?"

"Is that a rhetorical question?"

"Come on smarty pants," He chuckled, keeping an arm around her as they went to Hailey's treatment room.

"I'm okay Kam," Hailey immediately sighed, watching Kamryn come in with her father.

"I know. Dad told me," She smiled a bit, getting the hug from her mom that she needed.

"I'm gonna go back to work, you need to go back too,"

"She's crazy right?" Kamryn turned to Jay, pointing at her mother, "did you hit your head?"

"I tried, but the doctor cleared her," Jay shrugged, leaning against the wall.

"Not like she'd listen anyway,"

"Go to work" Hailey chuckled, playfully pushing Kamryn towards the door.

——————

Kamryn pushed open the door to the ice cream shop, the door dinging as she did.

"Sorry Hannah, had an emergency," she called to her boss as she pulled the apron over her t-shirt.

"Everything okay?" She asked, stepping beside Kamryn as she got clocked in.

"Yeah. Just a little scare with my mom,"

She nodded and handed over the register key, "I'm heading out. You still okay to close tonight?"

"Yeah, definitely," Kamryn answered, willing to do anything her boss asked.

"Thanks, kiddo,"

Kamryn smiled and went on with the day, texting Hailey once or twice to check in on her.

——————

Around 9, they started the closing duties. Mopping floors, wiping tables, wiping all the serving areas, replacing ice cream tubs. All that was left was counting the register drawer, which was only something Kam could do. So she sent the other 2 home and locked the door behind them.

She stood there, counting the cash as someone broke the glass door with a bat and came in, demanding the cash in her hand.

When Kam didn't answer fast enough, they took it out on her. One perp slammed her head against the counter more than once, throwing her to the ground with a lot of force. She didn't protest as the pain in her head was unbearable and all she could see was the boots around her face.

With one last kick to the face, the perps left, leaving Kamryn face down on the tile floor and no money left.

Luckily she kept her phone in her pocket but could barely see it as she clicked the first number she saw.