13

Kamryn sat with Kim and Adam for a while before she went in with them. Jay was out of surgery and the 2 were allowed to see him and hang out in the room. It was getting late and Hailey could see Kamryn fighting the sleep.

"Sweetie go lay on the couch. I promise I'll wake you up when dad is awake" Hailey urged, Kamryn nodding with a yawn. Kamryn laid down on the couch in the room, falling asleep rather quickly. Hailey smiled and put an extra hospital blanket over her before sitting down and scrolling through her phone.

It took a few hours before Jay finally woke up. Hailey was tired but watching her husband and daughter sleep while she waited. She hated being in the hospital but was happy they were all together and all going to be fine.

"Hailey?" Jay mumbled, getting Hailey's attention.

"Hey. How you feeling?" She asked, getting up and standing by his bed.

"Whos got Kam? Does she know?" He immediately asked, knowing their daughter's anxiety about their job.

"She knows. She's sleeping on the couch," Hailey told her husband, moving for him to see their daughter curled up on the couch. Hailey saw the little smile cross Jay's face, "want me to get her up?"

"Does she want you to wake her up?" He asked, looking over at the sleeping child.

"I told her I would. She was really scared, Jay. I think seeing you would help," Hailey told him, Jay nodding.
Hailey nodded and quietly went to the teenager, gently shaking her. "Kam wake up baby. Dad's awake and wants to see you"

"Okay," Kamryn mumbled, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Hailey's words didn't really hit until she saw Jay awake. "Daddy!"

"Hey sweetheart," the man smiled, pulling his daughter into his arms. He started to feel the shakes coming from her and immediately knew she was crying. "I'm okay Kam. Okay? I'm okay." He promised, holding her tightly in one arm.

"Honey why don't you go back to sleep. We'll talk in the morning okay?" Hailey suggested, Jay, nodding as he held her closer. Hailey got the blanket off the couch and covered her, watching Jay play with her hair until her breathing evened out.

They both decided that they would also talk in the morning and Jay went back to sleep. Hailey pulled out her phone and texted the whole unit to update them on Jay's condition.

Hailey: Jay was awake. Seems alright. He was talking, sleeping again now.

No one responded as it was 2 AM, and Kam had fallen asleep against Jay so Hailey took that time to sleep on the couch. Nurses were in and out all night and woke her out of her light sleep each time. Both Kam and Jay slept through all of it.

Kamryn was like her mother in a lot of ways but their anxious habits were polar opposites. When Hailey was anxious, she couldn't sleep a wink; When Kamryn got anxious, all she wanted to do was sleep.

"Kamryn. Time to wake up kiddo" Hailey sighed, waking her daughter for school.

"Mommy, can't I stay here?" Kamryn mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she sat up slowly.

"No baby. You've missed enough school. Dad will be fine, come on. Kim and Adam got you some clothes. Adam's gonna drop you off and pick you up from volleyball" Hailey told her, handing the young girls bag full of her clothes and toiletries.

Kamryn got up reluctantly and started to get ready and get changed for school. She didn't do much, just a pair of leggings and a T-shirt with her volleyball hoodie.

"Adam's on his way babes. 10 minutes" she told her, watching Kam get her teal backpack ready.

10 minutes later, Adam came up to get her as promised. She hugged Hailey goodbye and kissed Jay's cheek before she headed out with Adam.

"You ready for school kid?" Adam asked as they got in the Wrangler and Adam headed to a Burger King to get some breakfast.

"No. Not sure why mom made me go" she shrugged, looking at her Instagram.

"She probably just wants you to live like nothing happened kiddo," Adam told her, stopping the car in the line.

"But something did Adam. Something did happen and I'm supposed to go to school and hold it together?" Kamryn sighed, leaning on the window of the passenger seat.

Adam sighed as he got to the speaker, ordering the same thing for both of them and pulling up. "Look kiddo, after the kidnapping, I think your mom just wants you to live a normal life, and that includes going to school."

"I guess" Kamryn sighed, staying silent the rest of the drive. She didn't want to be at school, she wanted to be at the hospital with her dad and mom.

They are in silence before she had to go inside, hugging Adam before she left the Jeep. "Thanks for taking me. See you later."

"No problem kid. I'll pick you up at 6" Adam told her, watching her get out and head into school. He took a second to text Hailey and let her know that he'd gotten her there.

Adam: Kamryn just got into the school. Volleyball ends at 6 right?

Hailey: yes. Thank you so much for taking her in.

Adam: no problem. How's Jay?

Hailey: Still sleeping, didn't even hear Kam leave.

Adam: he needs it.

——————

At school, Kamryn was struggling to keep herself together. She was anxious, tired, and just really wanted to be with her parents. She started thinking a little too much and felt like she couldn't breathe correctly, and her world was shaky.

It was too much for her. So she ran into the bathroom and started sobbing on the floor. She took 2 seconds to find her mom's contact and called her. When she didn't answer the first time, she called her again and again.
She needed them. She needed her mom and dad.