35

Kamryn slept through the night, waking up to her school alarm that she'd set weeks before. She looked over to see Jay was already up and ready to go to work while Hailey was still sleeping on the couch.

"Morning kiddo,"

"Hey," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"Keith texted me. Wants to come see you after PT," Jay told her, looking at his phone.

"Tell him it's fine," Kam smiled, watching Jay text her boyfriend back.

"Alright. He said he'll be here. I gotta go catch the bad guys. Moms still sleeping but she's be here," He smiled, kissing her forehead, "I love you,"

"Love you too dad,"

With that, Jay headed out with a smile on his face while Kamryn drifted back to sleep for a bit.

——————

"Hey Jay," Kim greeted as he headed up the steps. "How's Kamryn?"

"Getting there. She seemed okay this morning, already woke up to her school alarm. Probably went back to sleep,"

"How much longer until she's home?" Kevin asked, looking up from his desk.

"No clue. Hopefully soon. But then she's got more recovery at home. Hailey and I already decided one of us was staying home and the other would go to work. Switch off days unless we get something big, then she's on the couch in the break room,"

"As long as she gets better,"

"Yeah. She will. She's getting there," Jay nodded, setting his phone down and letting a little smile out at the family picture that popped up.

——————

Keith showed up a little after 9 while Kamryn was still sleeping. Hailey trusted Keith alone with Kam while she ran home to get a few things for the three of them.

"Hey Hailey," Keith smiled, heading into the room.

"Hey, Keith. How was PT?"

"Pretty good. Said I got a few more weeks but doing better. How's she?" The teen asked, nodding toward his girlfriend.

"She woke up when her dad left, just been sleeping since. She might be a little irritable when she wakes up but I could be wrong. I'll be right back," Hailey told him, grabbing her stuff before heading out.

Kam woke up a little after Hailey left, looking over at her boyfriend with a tiny smile.

"Hey," she whispered.

"How you feeling?"

"Okay. Just tired," she sighed, looking around the room, "where'd my mom go?"

"Ran home to get some stuff for you guys," he smiled, leaning down to kiss his girlfriend.

"How was PT?" Kamryn asked once they broke away from each other.

"Good, only a few weeks left," Keith smiled, holding onto Kam's hand. "Probably won't be playing football this year, but basketball. Might be able to make it by the end,"

"I hope you do, college scouts will be there. Have you thought about college?"

"Yeah. I know Alabama has been watching me, Ohio State, and Kentucky. Have you thought about it?" Keith asked, squeezing her hand.

"I think I'm just gonna go to Central Chicago. Commute from home, live with my parents,"

"Why not get an apartment?" Keith asked, looking over at Kam who was quickly fading into sleep. "I'm gonna head to school, your mom should be back soon,"

"Mkay, I'll be okay," Kam mumbled in reply as she felt him kiss her forehead before falling asleep.

"I'll let her know I'm leaving and you're sleeping," he chuckled, kissing her head one more time before heading out and sending a text to Hailey.

Keith Morrison: Hey Hailey, Kam fell asleep so I'm heading out to school.

Hailey Halstead: Okay thanks. I'm on my way back now.

When Hailey returned, Will was in Kam's room with a smile on his face. "Someone needs one more head CT and if that's good, she's free to go,"

"You serious?" Hailey asked.

"Yeah, Marcel just wants one more check and she's free," Will smiled, fixing Kam's blanket as it was falling off her bed.

All Hailey could do was smile and kiss Kamryn's forehead before they took her for her last CT.

——————

"Head CT came back clean so, sign here and she's free," Maggie smiled, making a special trip up for the couple and kid she'd come to love.

Hailey smiled as she signed the discharge papers, setting her copy of everything down before gently pulling the blanket off her daughter. She folded everything up and stuffed it in the bag before gently waking the teen.

"Kam, you ready to get out of here?"

"Hmm?" The girl asked, slowly waking up.

"Let's get out of here," she said again, smiling as the teen sat up with a smile.

——————

After getting released, getting Kam home and in bed, Hailey completely forgot to tell her husband that she'd been discharged and was now home.

"Jay. What are you doing?" Will asked, noticing his brother heading to the elevators.

"Going to see my kid?" He told him with a little confusion.

"They were discharged?" Will told him, a little confused himself.

"They were?"

"Yeah, around 3. Head CT came back clean," Will nodded, both of them smiling before Jay jogged out to his truck and headed home.

"Hail? Kam?" He asked as he shut the back door, locking it behind him.

"Kitchen," Hailey called, "Kam's sleeping again. She's happy to be in her own bed,"

"I showed up at med, Will stopped me," he grinned, kissing the back of Hailey's head before grabbing a beer from the fridge.

"I forgot to tell you," Hailey sighed with a little chuckle, "sorry. I was so focused on getting her home,"

"It's fine. She's finally home. I'm gonna go check on her," he smiled, heading up the steps and quietly opening Kamryn's bedroom door.  Her phone was playing thunderstorm sounds as she slept all curled up in her bed. She was only still for a moment before letting out a few whimpers that caught Jay's attention. He carefully sat on her bed, waking her up slowly so he wouldn't get hit.

Kamryn shot up with a gasp before she even noticed her father.

"You're okay Kam," he sighed, pulling her close and holding her tight until she fell back to sleep.