40

Kamryn cried even harder as soon as she was in her father's arms. It was more from relief but who cared, she needed to get it out.

"Kam, he's not here. They won't attack you again baby," Jay tried, holding her extremely tight. Kamryn just nodded and wiped her eyes, before walking out of school with Jay.

She threw her bag in the backseat, and pulled her jacket tighter around her, curling up in the front seat. She obviously made sure the heating element was turned on, and within minutes of the drive was sound asleep.

Jay drove back to the district, not bothering to move her once they were parked. He didn't want to wake her up if she was anxious, he knew this was her way of coping and calming down. So he sat there and scrolled through his phone until a text popped up from Hailey.

Hailey: You back?

Jay: Come to the parking lot.

Hailey sighed and walked down to the motor pool and out the garage door to where Jay had parked his truck. Jay pointed to Kamryn's side of the car, unlocking the door so Hailey could open it.

"Kamryn," she sighed, moving some stray hair off her face.

"It was bad Hail. She immediately clung to me like someone was gonna kill her," Jay sighed, getting out of the truck, "I was just gonna let her sleep. I can get stuff done on my laptop, I just have to go get it,"

"Go ahead. I'll stay here with her for a minute," Hailey nodded, watching as Jay headed up to the bullpen, returning a minute or 2 later.

Hailey headed back upstairs, Jay staying in the truck with Kamryn. She slept about an hour before she was woke up and rubbed her eyes.

"Hey, kid,"

"Did I fall asleep?" She asked groggily.

"Yeah Kam, like 5 minutes into the drive," he sighed, shutting the laptop and setting it on the large console, "and you know we gotta talk about it,"

"Okay,"

"What's going through your head?" He asked, looking over at Kamryn.

"I don't know. I just, thought I saw him and it's like my mind just freaked. I know he's in prison, and I know he's not getting out soon, I just. I don't know dad," Kam explained.

"He can't get you, honey, you'll feel better when you get back into the swing of things, and we do more therapy. Mom and I talked about maybe getting you on some medicine to help. We're gonna figure it out,"

"Thanks, dad," she nodded, both of them getting out of the truck and heading inside the district.

——————

A week or so later, things were falling back into place. Keith was walking Kam to every class and watching her back. It was slowly getting easier but she was nervous about the upcoming appointment to see if she could go back to volleyball.

Hailey picked her up from school a little early and they immediately headed to med to see Dr. Scott.

"You nervous?" Hailey asked, sitting in the waiting room with her daughter.

"Yeah, I just wanna play again. I only have this year and next year left. Maybe college,"

"You need those scholarships baby, you'll play in college," Hailey chuckled, "you've been thinking about college?"

"Yeah, a little. I'm a junior, scouts start looking. I just wanna stay close to home," she smiled, "CCU is my first choice,"

Hailey smiled, going to say something as a nurse came to get Kamryn. They both went back, Kamryn sitting on the bed while they waited.

"Hey Kam," Will smiled, coming in to check on his niece.

"Hey uncle Will," she returned the smile, hugging her uncle as he came over.

"How's your head?"

"Feels okay. Normal," she shrugged, hopeful that her feeling was right.

"Alright kiddo, doctor Scott should be in soon. Love you,"

"Love you too," she grinned, smiling as Will headed out and doctor Scott came in.

"Hey Kamryn, Hailey," the doctor greeted. "How we feeling?"

"Pretty good. I went back to school, and besides some anxiety and headache or 2, I feel okay." Kamryn answered, nodding as she spoke.

"What do you think Hailey?"

"I think she's okay. There's some anxiety like she said, and then headaches. Usually, we just give her some Tylenol and she's good to go," Hailey answered, glancing between the doctor and Kamryn.

"Alright, well I'd like to get a head CT and depending on what that shows, maybe an MRI," the doctor said as he looked over her chart.

Kamryn nodded and within a few minutes was taken to the radiology department, and put through her CT scan to see how everything was. Once she was back in the room, she got her phone from her bag checking it to see who'd texted her.

Keith❤️: How's the appointment? Hoping for good news🤞🏻

Kamryn: Just talked to the doctor and did a CT scan. I really hope I can go back to volleyball 😩

Keith: you got this babes ❤️❤️

Kamryn smiled and switched her message threads to see her dad had texted her too.

Daddy❤️🚔: how you doing K?

Kamryn: good, head CT is done so just waiting now. They said depending on what it shows, I might have to do an MRI but I really hope not. I hate the sedation 🙃🫣

Daddy❤️🚔: I know you do kiddo. Hopefully, you won't need it.

Kamryn started a reply as the doctor came back in, holding the iPad with the results from her test. She watched the doctor's every move as he did a final look-over of her results before turning to the teen.

"Well, Kamryn,"