24

Jay: Are you working right now?

Will: Not now. Tonight.

Jay: Can you go to our house and check on Kam? Hailey has been up with her all night. Coughing, fever, sounds congested.

Will: Yeah. Tell her 20 minutes.

Jay: thank you.

Jay sighed and nodded at the text, going back to the messages between him and Hailey.

Jay: 20 minutes. How's she doing?

Hailey: Still warm. Still coughing.

Jay: Let me know what Will says.

Hailey: Will do.

Hailey quietly closed the app, glancing down at Kamryn who was still sleeping. She coughed a ton in her sleep, even after Hailey had managed to prop her up on pillows.

Will used the key to the house to get in as soon as he arrived.

"Hailey? Where you guys at?" He asked, heading up the steps.

"Kam's room," Hailey whisper yelled, hoping not to wake Kamryn but knew Will probably would.

"Hey," he whispered seeing Kam sound asleep against her mom. "Any better?"

"No, she's been coughing a lot. Fever hasn't broken yet,"

"Hey, Kam, wake up kiddo," Will said softly, hating to wake the sick kid up.

"Noooo," she mumbled, pulling the blanket up higher as she hid her face.

"I know hun. I'm sorry, but mom and dad want you to be checked out," Will told her, as Hailey helped her sit up. "Take your temperature for me okay?" he asked, handing her the thermometer which she turned on and put in her mouth. She handed it back as it beeped showing 101.2.

"Mama I just wanna sleep," she whined, trying to lay back down again.

"In a minute honey," Hailey sighed, rubbing her back as she started coughing.

"Alright Kam, take a puff of this," Will told her, giving her an inhaler, which Hailey had to help her but managed to get the medicine in. Will then headed out, promising to return later and check in.

The back door opened, and Jay came up the steps as he had a little break to check on his family.

"Hey K, how you doing honey?" Jay asked, sitting on the bed.

"I wanna sleep," Kamryn whined again, really just wanting to relax.

"I know you do," he sighed, hugging her close, "I got her for a little bit, or we can switch if you wanna work?" Jay said as he turned to Hailey.

"I'm gonna go take a shower, and then a nap. Voight can live without us for a day," Hailey smirked a little as she left Kam's bedroom.

Jay smiled a little, leaning against Kam's headboard. He turned on something for her to watch and started looking on his phone for a car for her.

Once Kamryn had rolled over and was sound asleep he went to Hailey as he'd gotten an idea.

"We can get my old truck back for her," He simply said, entering their bedroom.

"The black one?"

"Yeah. It's at auction right now. We can get it for Kam," Jay suggested, while Hailey shook her head.

"It's a retired police vehicle, Jay are you insane? You want our daughter to have it?" She asked him, kind of in shock at what he was suggesting.

"It's retired, Hailey. And we can limit the speed on it, and the radio. Keep the key that unlocks everything for us and give the key that limits everything to her," Jay shrugged as if it was the easiest decision in the world. "It's safe, and they took all the equipment out of it. She can't get into trouble, it's literally a normal truck now,"

"She sleeping?" She sighed, looking over at her husband.

"Yeah, she's out. Yes or no?" He asked, bringing the conversation back to the truck.

"Okay, but I wanna drive it first," she sighed, giving in to at least a test drive. She'd driven it before but it was for work and wanted to make sure it would be practical for their 16-year-old to control.

"Deal," He smiled, happy to finally get a victory. He went back into his daughter's room to see her still sound asleep facing her wall, so he turned her TV off and pulled her covers down a little so she could hopefully cool off. It didn't last long as the teenager pulled the blanket right back up and held it close to her chin.

Jay went out and managed to get the truck, bring it home, let Hailey drive it, and get some cough medicine in Kamryn.

When Hailey got home with it, Jay had Kam all cuddled up in the recliner while he was watching TV on the couch.

"If you set up this teen driver thing, I'm okay with her having it," Hailey smiled, handing over the keys.

"How limited do you want her?" Jay asked, looking up how to set up all the features.

"Radio does not go past half, don't let her go faster than 70,"

"Done, I'll go set it up. I just gave her some cough medicine, she's asleep in the recliner. We waiting to tell her?" Jay asked, glancing at Kamryn sleeping.

"I'd say until she feels better, She can't drive while she's sick. Or at least I won't let her," Hailey shrugged, Jay agreeing before heading outside to his old, now Kamryn's truck.

Jay couldn't wait to see her reaction to the big present even though her birthday was months ago in March. She'd gotten her license shortly after and right before Jay was shot on the job. Now with summer approaching, and Kamryn getting a part-time job, she was going to need a way to get from point A to B without her parents. They couldn't always help her with getting to and from work and knew she couldn't rely on friends, so getting her a car was the best option. They were excited to give her something nice that Jay had loved before, keeping the truck in the family.

 They were excited to give her something nice that Jay had loved before, keeping the truck in the family