4

A day later, Kamryn was a little bit more alert but still very sleepy. She was able to talk to her doctors and nurses, and her parents as well. The only struggle the family was having was Kamryn's sleep. She'd had nightmares the night before last as well as the previous night, they both were prepared for that after the trauma their daughter experienced.

"You okay honey?" Hailey asked as she saw Kamryn awake.

"Mhmm. Just want sleep" She mumbled, trying to roll over. Hailey helped her find a comfortable position and made sure her blanket was up to her shoulders, just how she liked it.

"Goodnight baby," Hailey told her, kissing her forehead and shutting off the lights before going back to the hallway.

Jay and Doctor Marcel were still talking over her recovery as Hailey returned after checking on Kam.

"She'll be here probably a week and then we can let her go home. No athletics for a while, her body needs to heal. All I can recommend for the concussion at home, is Ibuprofen or acetaminophen, rest, and ice. Try and keep her phone away from her too, any electronics like that."

The parents nodded and went back to Kamryn's room where she was still awake.

"I started to fall asleep and then just jumped" Kamryn sighed as she looked at them.

"It's normal kiddo," Jay told her, sitting beside her bed. He hated the look Kam gave him, it broke him inside.

"I just wanna go home" she mumbled, playing with the edge of the white hospital blanket.

"I know you do sweetie."

"Here baby, move over" Hailey smiled, Kamryn moved over a little bit making room in the bed. Hailey got in the bed with her and snuggled her close, hoping she'd be able to fall asleep if she was holding her. No one was able to take her, safe in moms arms.

Jay had stepped out to run home and get some comforting things from home. Her favorite blanket and her pillow as well as some extra pajamas. They'd be more comfortable than the hospital gown. He packed a small bag and was soon heading back to the hospital.

——————

"Alright kiddo, I got-" Jay started but was quietly shushed by his wife. She was still in the bed with Kamryn, but Kamryn was sound asleep cuddled up with Hailey.

"I finally got her to sleep"  she whispered, carefully moving her arm out and replacing her body with a pillow. Kamryn groaned a bit but Hailey pat her back until she was asleep again.

"I grabbed her favorite blanket, pillow and some pajamas" Jay told her, setting the bag down.

"Thank you" Hailey smiled softly.
"She finally went down," Jay noticed, seeing how peaceful Kamryn looked.

"Yeah, it took a bit but with some cuddles, she gave in. She's probably terrified and I hate that. All I can do to make my daughter feel safe is hold her and make a promise that I can't always keep." Hailey sighed, unpacking her blanket. She carefully took the white hospital blanket off her and replaced it with her favorite gray and fuzzy blanket from home. She put the hospital blanket back on top since her gray blanket was a bit shorter. Kamryn seemed to relax even more under her blanket, it was hers and smelled like home.

Everyone tried to relax and even the 2 parents tried to nap but Voight stopped by with Trudy and Mouch.

"Hey guys" Jay spoke up, making sure they saw Kamryn asleep.
"How's she doing?" Hank asked, whispering as he sat down.

"Still pretty sleepy, she's having nightmares, her head hurts. She won't fall asleep unless one of us lays with her. It's rough" Jay told them, moving a stray piece of hair out of his daughter's face.

"I'm just glad you found her when you did" Trudy spoke softly.

"Yeah, us too. She's what keeps us going" Hailey smiled a tad.

——————

After a while, it was just the 3 of them again. Kamryn was still sleeping and Hailey had managed to also fall asleep on the uncomfortable couch. Jay stayed awake, watching random TV shows on the TV in Kamryn's room. He kept it quiet enough so that he could hear it but his girls would be able to sleep through it.

Jay was still watching TV when Kamryn woke up with a gasp and started breathing heavily.

"Hey, honey. It's okay. It's me, it's daddy" Jay immediately jumped up and sat on the bed, carefully sitting his child up and hugging her close as she just started to sob. "It was just a dream sweetie. Just a dream. It's me, no one can get you now. Just hold onto me" he said softly as he held her. She'd never had a panic attack in her life but Hailey did and Jay knew exactly how to handle it.

Kamryn sobbed for a good 20 minutes before she even started calming down. Jay laid back in her bed, and had a very protective arm around his daughter, letting her cuddle into his side. At this point, if it calmed her, it was fine with him.

"I love you, sweetie," Jay told her, kissing the top of her head.

"Love you too daddy" Kam mumbled, wiping more tears away.

"When you were little, you used to love this show" Jay chuckled.

At the age of 3, Kamryn loved anything to do with HGTV. She could sit in front of the TV for hours just staring at it.

Kamryn just nodded at Jay's words as she laid on his shoulder. Jay played with her hair, constantly kissing her head until she fell asleep on him. He didn't bother moving since she was comfortable. He smiled a little as he pulled the blanket up to her shoulder, laying back himself.

"I'll never let anyone hurt you again sweetheart. Never"