18

"Mom do you really have to go?" Kamryn asked, moving her waffles around her plate but not daring to eat them.

"Yeah, baby. It's only a few weeks. I'll call you every night," Hailey told her daughter, trying to make her as comfortable as she could with her leaving.

"What if something happens?"

"Then I'll come home. Okay? You'll be okay. Dad will be here and he will call me if anything is wrong. I'll call him if anything happens on my end. Okay?" Hailey tried to explain, getting a nod from Kamryn. "I love you, honey,"

"I love you too mama," Kamryn said softly, hugging her mom before she headed to school.

Hailey was going to the FBI again for a few weeks as they needed some help and had actually requested her. She hadn't left Kamryn this long since before the kidnapping happened so she was worried. She knew Jay could handle it all but Kamryn was very attached to both of them, and she didn't want to be too far from either of them.

Kamryn was not herself that day, everyone noticed. Volleyball was a complete bust, and she just wasn't focused. She was finished with volleyball and got her phone out to check and make sure Jay was there to get her. Or at least someone was.

2 new messages

She sighed and opened her phone and saw the 2 messages, smiling a little.

Daddy❤️🚔: I'm outside kiddo

Mama💕🚔: Hey Honey, I landed in New York. Miss you already ❤️

She sighed again, walking out to the truck and Jay just knew. It'd been a rough day for their daughter. She got in without a word and pulled up Hailey's messages again, replying this time.

Kamryn: Miss you mama ❤️

Mama💕🚔: I'll call you tonight

"One day down kiddo. She'll be back before you know it." Jay told her, hating the teary look he got back. "Let's go get some dinner?"

"Kay" was all Kamryn mumbled, wiping her eyes before any tears could fall.

They got some dinner and went home to eat, but stayed pretty silent. Jay knew it would take a minute and some sleep before she would talk to him about how she felt. She always shut down for a while when she got anxious but eventually would open up to her mom and dad.

Hailey called Kamryn's phone around 7 that night getting an immediate "Hello," from her daughter.

"Hey, sweetie. How was your day?"

"Okay, I guess. Volleyball sucked. Couldn't hit a single ball." The teenager sighed, playing with the throw blanket in her lap.

"That's okay honey. It was a rough day for you. One day down, only 13 more to go." Hailey said on the other end of the phone.

"I guess. I miss you," Kam sighed, biting on one of her fingers, another anxious habit that had popped up recently.

"I miss you too sweetie. I'll be home before you know it,"

"Promise?" Kamryn asked, hoping she'd get what she needed to hear.

"I promise baby girl, I love you," Hailey smiled a little, hoping a smile crossed Kamryn's face too.

"I love you too mama," She replied before handing the phone to Jay and leaving the room to get ready for bed.

——————

Jay wasn't completely shocked when he woke up in the middle of the night to the bed moving on Hailey's side. He figured his daughter would end up in their room. Even if she was 16, he knew that sometimes she just needed to be close to her parents.

"You okay sweetie?" Jay whispered, watching Kamryn get comfortable on Hailey's side of the bed.

She nodded and curled up in her comforter that she'd brought in, grabbing the pillow that Hailey left and falling right to sleep. Both Hailey and Jay knew the first 2 or 3 days would be the roughest on her and she'd start to get less anxious as the 2 weeks went on.

——————

"I'll be at work, but you can text me if you need me. I'll make sure I answer as soon as I can. And I'll come get you from volleyball at 6" Jay explained, Kamryn nodding as she packed her backpack up. She grabbed her phone just as it vibrated, opening it immediately.

Mama 💕🚔: Day 2 honey. You'll be fine. I love you ❤️

Kamryn: Love you too ❤️

Jay waited until the bus picked Kamryn up before heading to the district to get to work.

——————

"How's Hailey doing up in New York?" Adam asked as they were getting coffee.

"Pretty good as far as I know. I just hope she's not worrying and catching criminals." Jay sighed, going out towards his desk across from the empty one that his wife used. He hated desk duty but was also glad it came when it did in case his child needed him.

"How's Kam dealing with it?" Kim asked, coming up to stand beside Adam, who instinctively put an arm around his girlfriend.

"She was really quiet last night and came in around 2 or 3 this morning to sleep on Hailey's side of the bed. We haven't left her since before she got kidnapped, and she's always been anxious about our job so I'm not too surprised she's not herself." 

"It's what? 12, 13 days left?" Adam asked, looking at Jay for an answer.

"12 by the end of today." Jay nodded, the whole team coming out to start the case they were working on.

Around 4 in the afternoon, hours into looking at pod footage and facial rec, Hailey called Jay's phone.

"Hey babe," Jay answered, happy to hear from her.

"Hey. How's it going over there? How's Kam?" She asked, still working but wanted to check in with her family.

"At school. She was still quiet this morning but hoping she'll be okay for now." Jay told his wife, getting more coffee.

"I was hoping she'd sleep and be okay."

"She slept, came in our room around 2 or 3. Slept on your side." He sighed, hating to give a somewhat bad report.

"Have her call me when you pick her up. Doesn't she have a game tonight?" Hailey asked, needing to get Kam in the right mind frame.

"Yeah. Kinda worried about how hard she'll be on herself if she doesn't do well." Jay told her, sitting on the couch for a second.

"Call me from the truck so she can hear both of us. Sounds like a pep talk needs to happen,"

"I will. Love you" Jay smiled a bit.

"Love you too"