8

"Sarge, we heard from Halstead's yet?" Adam asked as they were all in the bullpen. Hailey and Jay's desks were the only ones empty and Kamryn's backpack was still in the break room.

"Not yet. They're probably sleeping. I'll text Halstead and then we work on the case" Voight told them all, pulling out his phone.

Voight: How's Kamryn doing? Unit is wondering.

Halstead: Sound asleep with Hailey. Doctor has her on antibiotics for the sepsis. Hailey's pretty shook up about it.

Voight: Keep us updated. We'll try to visit later.

"Alright. Halstead said she went septic. They have her on antibiotics and she's sound asleep with Hailey right now." Voight told the whole unit before all getting to work.

——————

At the hospital, Hailey had woken up to Jay watching some random sitcom on TV.

"She still sleeping?" Jay asked, as Hailey carefully moved. Kamryn's back was to Jay and she was all cuddled up in Hailey's side.

"Yeah. She's out" she whispered, carefully slipping out from her daughter's bed and sitting by her husband.

"Hailey you gotta stop blaming yourself," Jay said, putting his arm around Hailey. He could see it all over her face as she watched their daughter.

"I'm not" she lied, messing with her black wedding band. Jay knew that was a sign of her anxiety, so he gently grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Look at me." He said, waiting for his wife to look him in the eyes. When she did, he continued, "Hailey, you know that I know all the anxious habits. So don't tell me that you're not feeling it from all this."

"Fine. I am. I can't help that." Hailey admitted, breaking eye contact to look at Kam for a second. "I keep going over it in my head"

"She's here. She's fine. Well, she will be. Before we know it, she'll be back on the volleyball court" Jay smiled, knowing they were both ready to see their daughter playing again.

"I love you," Hailey told him, letting a smile cross her face.

"I love you too," he said, kissing her forehead gently.

"Mama, Daddy" came a little mumble from Kamryn in the bed.

"Hey, kiddo. How'd you sleep?" Jay asked, moving to sit on her bed.

"I guess okay" she shrugged, "can I eat? I'm hungry," the teenager asked, looking between her mom and dad.

"I'll go ask your doctor" Jay smiled, squeezing her hand before getting up. He luckily found Dr. Marcel pretty quick. "Hey doc, she's awake. Asking to eat? She allowed?"

"Yeah. That's a pretty good sign that she wants to. Definitely on the right track. I'll have someone bring her something" the doctor smiled, and Jay did as well.

He headed back to the room and smiled as Kamryn was talking to Hailey, seeming full of energy. "Someone's gonna bring you some food kiddo"

"Someone's hungry?" Will smiled, knocking with a tray of food. "I heard you tell Marcel."

"Is it gross?" Kamryn asked, chuckling a bit as she sat up in her bed.
"Probably. But if you feel up to it, I'll sneak you some Burger King" Will whispered, making Jay and Hailey chuckle.

She nodded with a small smile.  "I really want a crispy chicken sandwich"

"Alright, kiddo, why don't you rest a little longer and I'll sneak it in" Will smiled, kissing the kid's forehead before heading out.

Kamryn nodded and laid back down, rolling over so she was facing Jay and Hailey.

"How you doing baby girl?" Hailey asked, taking her hand and squeezing it.

"I'm okay mama" she mumbled slightly, tired out after 5 minutes of being awake.

"You're doing so well sweetie. Go back to sleep" Jay told her, watching her eyes fight to stay open. Kamryn nodded and allowed herself to drift off while Hailey played with her hair.

A few hours later, the unit showed up seeing Kamryn asleep and all curled up against a sleeping Jay.

"Hey guys" Hailey whispered, getting off the couch and shutting off the TV so it wouldn't wake them up.

"How you doing?" Kevin asked, pulling the teal backpack off his shoulder.

"Uh, we're alright. Just hoping this is her last little scare. Don't know if we can handle another ER visit" Hailey sighed, taking the backpack as Kevin handed it over.

"When's she going home?" Voight asked, standing with the team.

"No clue. She wants to eat so they said that was a good sign. Hopefully means the medicine is working and she's finally getting better. Still pretty tired and we're exhausted but we'll get there" Hailey said as Jay came out and put an arm around her shoulders. "She still sleeping?"

"Yeah. She rolled over when I got up, pat her back for a minute and she was out again." Jay replied, with a bit of a yawn.

The unit stayed a little bit before Kamryn woke up, seeming to be in good spirits.

"How you feeling kid?" Kevin asked, giving Kamryn a fist bump.

"Okay, I guess. Tired of the hospital, and really want to go home" she mumbled, still waking up.

"You'll get there honey. And we'll all be embarrassing you at volleyball soon enough" Kim chimed in, making her laugh a bit.

"Can't wait"

——————

After 3 more days in the hospital, Jay pulled up to their house with the whole family in the truck. All 3 of them got out, headed inside, and went their own ways. Kamryn immediately got her blanket out and went to her favorite recliner in the room, snuggling up. When Jay came back down the steps of their home, he went out to the living room sitting on the couch next to his daughter.

"What are we watching kiddo?" He asked, looking over at Kamryn.

"Pitch perfect" she yawned, keeping her eyes glued to the TV. Jay wanted to go over and help her fall asleep but he also wanted to wait and see if she would be able to do it herself. He watched as her eyes started to close, but sighed as she jumped and woke herself back up.

"You're okay Kam. You're home. You're safe. I'm over here and Mom is upstairs. No one's able to get you" he reassured her, watching her get comfy again before getting up and coming over to the couch. He couldn't deny the daughter he loved snuggling up next to him, as he started playing with her hair and letting her fall asleep.