10

After 6 months of recovering and getting back to normal life, Kamryn sat on the exam table nervously. Jay could see she was anxious all over her face as she was swinging her legs off the side.

"Alright, Kamryn. I'm okay with you going back to sports. But. Still take it easy." Dr. Marcel told the teenager as he came in, seeing a smile spread across her face.

"So I can play the game tonight?!" She asked, extremely happy but also shocked.

"You can. But take it easy."

"Doc I don't think we could bench her if we tried" Jay chuckled, very happy to finally see Kamryn happy.

It'd been a long road for the 3 of them but she was getting back to herself. She was still having trouble with being away from her parents so they kept in contact all through school and either Hailey or Jay was there at 2:15, ready when school let out at 2:30. Either one of them usually stayed at the district or at home with her at all times, she was also going to therapy. Both parents were hoping with starting volleyball again, would make it a little easier. They hoped that it would tire her out enough to sleep through the night.

"Alright kid. Mom or I will text you all day." Jay told his daughter as he pulled up to the school door.

"Okay. You'll be here to get me?"

"2:15 sweetheart. Then we will run home and pull out the volleyball with mom and then come to the game." Kamryn nodded and smiled at her dad's words before getting out of the truck. "Love you, Kamryn Grace"

"Love you too pops!" The teenager smiled, shutting the door. Jay waited until she got in the school before driving off with a smile.

——————

"Hey, how'd it go?" Hailey asked as she saw Jay walk up.

"She got cleared. She's excited. Doctor Marcel told her she could play tonight but take it easy." he chuckled.

"She's been out of it for months, I don't think she'd listen" Hailey smiled. They both knew Kamryn wasn't going to take it easy when she'd been out of her favorite sport for months.

"I told her we'd pull out the volleyball later and practice since she's probably a little rusty," Jay told Hailey as he sat at his desk.

"Fine with me" Haileys smiled, both of them getting to work.

——————

2 Pm rolled around pretty quick while they were all working on paperwork.

"Sarge. I'm gonna take off. Go get Kam. Are you guys coming to her game tonight?" Jay asked, getting his jacket off his chair.

"I'll be there for sure. Makayla loves watching her games." Kim chuckled, looking up for a second.

"Kam is so excited. I told her I'd get her and we'd practice a little at home. I'll see you guys later." Jay chuckled, getting his keys and heading out. He parked in the same spot every day and texted his daughter

Jay: I'm here. Spot 16 as always kiddo.

Kamryn: Thanks, dad ❤️❤️

2:30 rolled around and students started flooding out of the doors. Kamryn soon emerged and got in, smiling as she shut the door.

"How was school?" He asked, waiting for her to throw her bag in the back and get her seatbelt on.

"Good" she smiled, "I talked to my coach and she said she'd put me in tonight. I love that we play all year"

"Good kiddo. I figured we'd go home, get a little snack and then go practice in the yard for a bit. You're probably a little rusty," Jay chuckled, waiting in the long line of parents to leave.

"Sounds good to me" the teenager smiled, looking at her phone.

Jay smiled and drove home once they were able to leave the school parking lot, unlocking the door as soon as they got there.

"You ready for tonight?" He asked as he drove.

"Yeah. Just really nervous" Kamryn told her father, dropping her phone in her lap.

"That's alright kid, you've been out of it for a while. We'll get a little something to eat and then mom should be coming home and we can head outside" Jay suggested, nearly finishing the short drive home.

"Is the whole unit coming again?" She asked, chuckling.

"Kim and Adam are with Mak. I don't know if Voight will. Trudy said she might. Kev probably will, and obviously mom and I." Jay chuckled, thinking if he missed anyone.

"Sweet. I'll have the loudest cheering section" Kamryn chuckled, getting back on her phone as Jay pulled into their short driveway.

As promised, they got a little snack and some downtime before Hailey came home and spent about an hour and a half outside with the volleyball. They gave her every possible dive they could, making sure she was comfortable going for it. Jay would pass the ball either straight to Kam or to Hailey and then Hailey would set it up for Kam. She got most of them but it was mostly fun for all 3 of them to be a happy little family.

Almost an hour and a half later, they all headed inside to relax a little before they had to get going. They had to be at the school by 7 and it was only 4:30, so they all settled into the living room to watch a show. Hailey and Jay were on the couch while Kamryn was in her favorite recliner. The volleyball outside tired her out enough to the point that she fell asleep in the reclined chair. Hailey was on her phone against Jay, barely paying attention until he nudged her arm.

"Look," he told her, nodding over at their daughter.

"She asleep?" She asked as she sat up to look and was about to cry when she saw Kam sound asleep. "The volleyball tired her out"

"Or we were just making her feel safe" Jay smiled, hugging Hailey close. It'd been a long road, and it seemed like Kamryn was getting back to herself. That's all they could ask for.