22

That night was pretty normal, as the family had dinner and watched TV before going to bed. Kamryn was having a pretty rough time getting herself to sleep though. Tossing and turning when she could usually fall asleep pretty easily.

"Ughhhh" she groaned, going out to the kitchen to get a midnight snack. Maybe she was just hungry, or thirsty, or even just needed to walk around. She raided the fridge, finding a cheese stick and a bottle of water, sitting on one of the barstools.

"Kam?" Jay asked, quietly coming out of his and Hailey's shared bedroom. "What's going on honey?"

"Can't sleep. Did I wake you up?" Kam asked, turning around to face her dad.

"No, I was already up. Why can't you sleep?" The man sighed, sitting beside his daughter on another stool.

"If I knew, would I still be awake?" Kam asked with a hint of sass but also a little smirk.

"Fair point." He chuckled, "come on, let's go watch some TV,"

Kamryn nodded and followed Jay over to the couch, sitting beside him. He turned on the late-night episodes of George Lopez.

"Come on sweetie, lay down," Jay coaxed her, putting a pillow by his leg for her. Kamryn nodded and curled up on the couch, while Jay threw the couch blanket over her. Jay started playing with her hair hoping that would be enough to relax his daughter to sleep.

It wasn't. It was now almost 4 AM and Kamryn was still wide awake on the couch. She'd faked falling asleep so Jay would go back to bed and at least get some sleep, but she was getting none. She was up all night watching reruns of Zoey 101 and iCarly before Jay and Hailey came out of their room ready to go.

"You up Kam?" Hailey asked, seeing the teenager on the couch.

"Mhm," she said as she got up and went to her room to get ready. She was sleepy but she hid it with a little makeup and her normal leggings and t-shirt combo.

She poured herself a bowl of cereal and sat down at the table as Hailey and Jay did too. Hailey set Kamryn's phone on the table and slid it across, landing it right in front of their daughter.

"Dad and I talked it over. You were just trying to defend your friend, which I can't be mad at. But like I said, next time keep yourself out of trouble." Hailey explained, getting a smile out of Kamryn.

"Thanks, mom," the teenager smiled, hearing the bus as it pulled up. "I'll see you guys later," she said as she got up, hugging both of her parents and running out to the bus.

——————

"Gotta admit, we have a pretty good kid," Jay smiled, checking his phone to see their family picture along with a text from Kam.

Kamryn: got to school, no volleyball today.

Jay: see you at 2:30 K.

"She is." Hailey smiled, both of them getting to work.

Jay left at 2:00 to go to the school and park in the same spot he did every day.  Kamryn knew exactly where to head when school let out. It was getting close to summer so volleyball practices and games were dwindling down leaving her with more family time.

"Hey dad," she smiled, jumping in the truck and tossing her bag behind her.

"How was school?" He asked, waiting on the principal to tell them to go.

"I'm ready for it to be over. Finals are coming up and the anxiety is so real," she sighed, fiddling with her phone case in her hand.

"I'm sure you'll do fine Kam. You're a pretty smart kid," Jay chuckled, pulling the truck out of the parking spot when it was his turn.

"6 days and counting," she chuckled a little, looking out the window as Jay drove.

By the time they got to the district, Kam was dozing off in the passenger seat.

"Didn't sleep last night?"

"Yeah, I did. You saw me," she mumbled, hoping he didn't know she faked it.

"Kamryn," he chuckled a little, looking over at her.

"What? I did..."

"It's okay if you didn't," Jay told her, getting a nod out of the girl. "So no sleep?"

"I faked it. You and mom can't not sleep." She shrugged, looking over at Jay.

"Your mother worked a case once running on no sleep for days. We've had cases go all night, we can manage,"

"Doesn't mean it's safe. And I don't want you guys to get hurt," Kamryn sighed, watching the road ahead.

"Kiddo, I think it's time you start seeing Dr. Charles again," Jay said as he pulled into the district parking lot and then his spot beside Hailey's Jeep. "How about you go take a nap upstairs?"

"It's a stupid fear. I know you guys are safe and all that," Kam sighed, opening the door and jumping out of the truck.

"It's not a stupid fear Kamryn. It's rational, we just need to find a way to ease that anxiety."

"I guess," the girl shrugged heading up the stairs, and into the break room.

"We'll talk later, take a nap." Jay encouraged her, letting her lay on the couch before throwing his jacket over her. "Night kiddo,"

"Night dad," she mumbled, already dozing off cuddled up under the jacket.

Jay shut the light off before shutting the door quietly, letting Kamryn fully fall asleep in the quiet room.

"She in there?" Hailey asked, coming back out from an interrogation.

"Yeah, sleeping. She told me she didn't sleep last night, she faked it so I could go to bed. She didn't want me to be sleepy at work," Jay explained before adding, "I think we need to get her in with dr Charles again."

"Sounds like it."