33

"We got one of them," Voight told Jay as he came up the steps, "how's Kamryn?"

Jay sighed and nodded, "bruised up, hurting, wants one of us there at all times,"

"You can have a run at him. I'm in with you,"

With that, the 2 headed into the interrogation room with the perp. Jay was already fuming after checking the file, which had pictures of Kam's bruised face.

"You have some explaining to do," Voight spoke up, sitting in a chair while Jay remained standing.

"I don't gotta tell you nothing," the man stated, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Okay then," Jay mumbled setting the photos of Kamryn in front of the offender, "Start talking. Who's that?"

"I don't know man, some stupid kid?"

"Wrong answer," Jay stated, aggressively pointing at a picture of Kamryn before pulling his wallet out and flipping it open. He had plenty of pictures in his wallet but the most recent family picture was in the front, "that "stupid" kid. That's my daughter. And you really picked the wrong father to piss off,"

"You better start talking," Voight said from the corner, watching Jay closely.

"Because of you, my daughter is in the hospital right now, in the ICU. Give me your partner's name and we can maybe work something out," Jay lied, knowing he wasn't gonna lift a finger to help anyone that hurt his kid.

"I'm not telling you anything. If anything she deserved it," the criminal sneered, Jay just about lunging over the table. Luckily Voight and Kevin were able to pull him off and out of the room, forcing him to calm down.

"Go back to the hospital," Voight told him, having Kevin take him out to his truck and make sure the man left.

Jay headed in the doors of Chicago Med, stopping at the gift shop as he saw a stuffed elephant that he knew Kam would love.

He heard the cries as he got close to the room, hating that his daughter was upset.

"Hey, dads back," Hailey sighed, still messing with Kam's hair.

"What's wrong honey?" Jay asked, sitting on the bed behind her. Kam rolled over slowly, pulling herself up to sit and hug onto her dad. All the anger that Jay had been feeling disappeared as he carefully pulled Kam out from her blankets and just held her. He hated feeling the shakes coming off of her, but just held her and slowly the shaking stopped. He held her as she nodded off in his arms finally falling asleep.

"She asleep?" Hailey asked, watching her husband carefully set Kam back in bed.

"She's out," Jay nodded, pulling her blankets back over her.

"I'll be back," Hailey nodded, taking the keys from Jay and heading for the district.

Jay nodded, keeping a grip on Kamryn's hand while she slept with her head on his arm. "You gotta stop landing yourself here honey. Moms gonna go crazy. I'm not too keen on seeing you here either. When you were little, you were always running around and I'm not sure how we avoided the hospital as much as we did,"

——————

Hailey parked the truck in a marked spot, slammed the door shut, and walked right in the front doors. She didn't speak to Platt, just went right up the steps, palmed in, and went up to the bullpen.

"Where is he?"

"Hailey," Adam started, getting off his chair.

"Adam. Where is he?" She asked with a stern voice. She wasn't backing down at all. Adam sighed and nodded, getting up and leading the woman to the interrogation room with the file. "We only have him?"

"Still looking for the partner,"

"Mhm." She hummed as she opened the file and sighed at Kam's photos.

"How's she doing?" Adam asked, also seeing the photos as Hailey closed the file.

The blonde just shook her head, "she's...she's hurting. Not really talking more than telling us what hurts. She usually tells me everything so for her to close up like this, kills me,"

Adam nodded, hugging his friend before going into the room with her.

"Hi, Steven,"

"Who are you?" The man asked, looking up at the blonde in front of him.

"Not important," Hailey snapped, laying the pictures in front of him again. "You met my husband earlier. He's with our kid now,"

"Man, I don't care about your stupid kid. She was just in the way so we took care of her,"

"By nearly beating her to death? You're not a parent are you?"

"I am. Got a daughter," Steven answered, Hailey nodding.

"Put yourself in my shoes. You think your daughter is safe at work and the next thing you know you get a call from her boyfriend that she's whining in pain. All she can say is door, shattered and be-" Hailey started, getting cut off.

"Hailey. Phone for you. It's Jay," Kevin said, opening the door. Hailey quickly left the room, leaving Adam with the offender.

"Jay. What's going on?" She asked, met with her husband's voice.

"Kam opened up a little,"

"Let me talk to her," she sighed, going out to the team and putting her phone on speaker. "Kam?"

"Mama,"

"Yeah, baby. We can all hear you. What do you remember?" Hailey asked, keeping her eyes on the phone.

"They were driving a truck like mine. But it was red and looked newer. One of them called the other judu," she mumbled, laying against Jay still.

"Did you see any plate number or stickers on the car Kamryn?" Voight asked while Kevin wrote down about the truck and Judu.

"I think there was a sticker on the back window, some kind of school sticker,"

"That's good honey," Hailey sighed, taking the phone off speaker. "How's your head?"

"Still hurts,"

"Tell dad to get you more ice. I'll be back soon," Hailey promised.

"Okay. Love you,"

"I love you too Kam. More than you'll ever know honey,"