25

Kamryn took a few days to recover and was pretty lucky to be able to retake her exams. She wasn't 100 percent but close enough and made it through the day. She hated having to spend the last day of her sophomore year taking the exams and was honestly sure she bombed them.

——————

It was a slow day in intelligence, and knowing her exams would be graded before 3, her parents were checking her grades endlessly. They had decided that if she did pretty well on her exams that they'd drive up in her truck and surprise her that way.

The email finally came in around 1:30, Hailey pulling it up immediately.

Kamryn Halstead
Grade 10

English: A+
Algebra 2: B+
Chemistry: B-
AP History: A-
Physical Education: A+

"Didn't she text you?" Hailey asked as Jay pulled his phone out.

"Yep. "Pretty sure I bombed the tests. Not feeling great about it". Poor kid is always so hard on herself," Jay sighed, reading off the text that Kam had sent him earlier in the day.

"These are great grades, she's psyching herself out. When should we leave?" Hailey asked, turning around in her chair to face Jay.

"She gets out at 2:30 so probably 2:10, 2:15. I can't wait to see her face when she realizes," Jay smiled, one of those smiles like a kid on Christmas morning.

"How do we even surprise her? Just come right out and say it or tell her you got a new truck?" Hailey asked, really thinking which would be best.

"She won't know it's us if we're not outside. She's used to the Ram or Jeep. So I think we should just come out and say it so she knows it's us," Jay explained, with a huge smile. He was so proud of Kamryn.

So that's what they did.

As soon as they backed into the spot, Jay texted Kamryn to let her know they were there. Spot 16. The bell rang soon after the parents arrived, both of them standing by the front of the black GMC. Kam came out in the flood of students, smiling brightly as she headed to her parents.

"Hey guys," she smiled a little.

"Hey, kiddo, like your new truck?" Jay smiled, watching Kamryn's face go from happy to confused. "What?"

"You said "your truck?" She asked, looking between both parents as smirks crossed their faces. "What?"

"Yeah. You like it?" Jay asked, continuing to watch the confusion on Kamryn's face.

"It's really mine?"

"He said your truck, didn't he?" Hailey chuckled, looking over at Jay.

"Holy crap! You did not buy me a car!!!" Kamryn squealed, jumping up and down in excitement.

"No we didn't," Hailey chuckled, "We got you a truck. You gonna take the wheel or what?" She smiled, dangling the keys for Kamryn to grab.

Kamryn smiled with a squeal as she took the keys from her mom, handed her backpack to her dad, and jumped in the driver's seat. Hailey grinned, getting in the passenger seat while Jay got in the back.