26

Kamryn drove her truck home at the end of the day, parking it in their driveway. She got out and turned around to lock it, smiling as she took another picture of it. It wasn't the truck itself that made her happy, it was the fact that her dad had driven it for years and the memories it held for her parents. She was ready to add a few of her own.

—1 MONTH LATER—

Kamryn had gotten a job at an ice cream shop that usually hired high school kids as it was the perfect summer job. The unit, of course, went every once in a while or texted her to bring them a treat after her shift.

"Hey Trudy," She smiled, coming in after a long day with 2 bags full of ice cream to-go cups.

"Hey kid, they're all upstairs," she said, nodding towards the bullpen.

"Here's yours," Kamryn grinned, setting the white cup on the desk.

"Thanks, Kam," the Sergeant smiled, buzzing the teenager into the bullpen.

"I bring ice cream treats," Kam smiled, appearing at the steps and setting the bags on the closest desk. "Kevin's, Adam's, and dads are in this bag, mom's, Kim's, and Hank's are in the other bag,"

"Thanks, honey," Hailey grinned, kissing her cheek as Kam grabbed her keys.

"Is it okay if I go to the mall with my friends?"

"Yeah. Just be home by curfew," Jay shrugged, "and be careful,"

"Of course,"

"Who you going with?" Hailey piped in, making sure she knew.

"TJ, and Jackie and Keith," she shrugged, stealing a bite of Jay's ice cream.

What the parents didn't know was Keith and Kamryn had been dating for over 2 months now. Kamryn had yet to tell her parents of the relationship and honestly didn't want to. She feared that her parents would interrogate him as all parents did, not to mention the cop thing.

"Okay. Be careful," Hailey nodded, watching Kamryn smile and grab her stuff, "and hey, no one rides in your truck. Just you. Got me?"

"Got you!" She nodded, waving as she headed back down the steps.

Kamryn smiled, waving to Trudy as she headed out of the district and to her truck.

She arrived at the mall soon enough, finding Keith's truck and parking beside it. TJ and Jackie had ridden together in his mustang that was close by.

"Hey, they figure it out yet?"

"Not a clue," she smiled, looking around before kissing her boyfriend.

They headed to the mall and met up with TJ and Jackie, who were also a couple and very happy to go on double dates now. Both Kamryn and Jackie were now juniors while the boys were now seniors.

They walked around and got dinner before heading out. It had started getting dark and Kamryn still wasn't totally comfortable driving home in the dark.

"You'll text me when you get home?" Keith asked, walking out of the mall with Kamryn hand in hand.

"You know I will," she smiled as they both started walking across the parking lot.

Keith saw the car first, barreling towards them as the driver wasn't paying attention. With one move, he pushed Kamryn out of the way, causing her to fall while the car hit him.

"Holy crap!" Jackie exclaimed as she saw it all happen.

TJ looked before he ran across, kneeling to check both of them while Jackie called 911.

"Kam, you okay?"

"I think so," she mumbled, starting to sit up. "Is he okay?" She asked, starting to tear up.

"She okay?" Keith asked or more mumbled at the same time.

"Don't move," TJ told him, making sure they were both being somewhat still.

Kam was lucky to only get a few large scrapes that were gonna hurt to clean but otherwise was okay. Keith had definitely broken a bone or 2.

The ambulance arrived quickly, Violet and Stella jumping out. She was a little caught off guard as she was expecting Sylvie but assumed she was still in Portland with Casey.

"Kamryn?" Stella asked, recognizing the young Halstead. All she got was a worried nod from the kid.

"What happened?" She asked looking at the girl she knew, rather than her friends.

"They were crossing the parking lot and he saw the car coming, so he pushed her out of the way," TJ explained, watching them work.

"Kamryn. You have to talk to me kiddo. You hit your head or anything?"

"No, I'm-I'm okay." Kamryn stuttered as she watched them work with Keith. It was all in slow motion now. The guilt was now setting in, this was her fault.

——————

Turns out, Keith had broken part of his knee and leg and was in surgery to fix it.

Will had called Jay, while Natalie took care of the road rash she'd gotten.

"You okay? You're quiet over there." Natalie asked as she started cleaning out the scrapes.

"Just want my mom," she mumbled, wincing as Natalie cleaned her up.

"She's on her way, Will said about 10 minutes,"

"Nat she's gonna kill me. I've been lying to them," Kamryn sighed, now crying a bit as she sat up.

"About what?" Natalie asked, sitting on the stool in front of her.

"Keith and I have been dating. A little over 2 months. And I haven't told them," she sniffled, looking up at her aunt. "They're gonna be so mad at me,"

"No honey. I think they'll be shocked but I don't think they'll be mad. You're growing up, they know that,"

Kamryn nodded, waiting in the room with Natalie until her mom showed up.

"Hey, what happened honey?" Hailey asked, immediately pulling Kam into a very tight and comforting hug, "I got you, it's okay. You're okay, it's okay. Dads right behind me, it's okay,"

It only took a few minutes before Jay was in there too, both of them holding onto her until she calmed down enough to talk.