44

Kamryn fell asleep on Hailey's leg halfway through watching Twister when Jay got home. He'd gone to work earlier and didn't expect to be working this late. He finally arrived home at 11:30 to see Hailey mindlessly watching the TV with Kamryn asleep on her lap.

"How was she?" He whispered, shutting the front door and locking up the house.

"Cried for a while. We had ice cream, and I may have told her that she could skip school tomorrow,"

"Who are you and what have you done with my wife?"

"Kam tell you to say that?" Hailey asked, rolling her eyes.

"I haven't talked to Kam since she left and I went to work,"

"She said the exact same thing to me,"

"Like father, like daughter I guess," he smiled, "Want me to put her in her bed?"

"I don't know if I want to move her, she cried herself to sleep," Hailey sighed, easily and quickly replacing her leg with a pillow.

"Our poor kids got a broken heart,"

"I know," the blonde sighed, fixing Kam's blanket before she and Jay headed to bed.

——————

Kamryn woke up to a silent house the next morning as her parents had already left for work. She didn't realize she'd fallen asleep on the couch the night before. She sighed and rubbed her eyes as she got up, finding a note from her parents on the counter with her mom's credit card.

Hey Kam
We went to work but called you out of school. Both of us have our phones on us. Left the credit card so you can order lunch.
Love you
Mom and dad

She sighed and set it back down, going back to the couch and flipping on the TV. She didn't really know what she was watching or how long she'd been watching it when the door clicked open, revealing her parents.

"Hey honey," Hailey sighed, flopping on the couch beside her daughter, "how you doing?"

"I miss him, mama,"

"I know baby, but it's only a while," she sighed, pulling Kam in and holding her tight. "Cry if you need to honey, it'll help,"

Kamryn nodded and leaned against her mom, sniffling slightly but not crying. "You home for lunch?"

"Yeah, you eaten yet?"

"No," she mumbled.

"I know you're really upset K but you need to eat something," Jay said as he sat on the chair beside the couch.

"Please don't make me,"

Both parents could see how upset she was and didn't push it much further but brought out her favorite snack. When that still didn't work, Jay took the rest of the day off to stay home and spend time with their daughter.

"K you know you need to eat, I'll get your favorite," Jay tried but when he looked down, Kam was asleep again. He knew it was an anxious coping mechanism for her so he let her go. He stayed right by her, pulling out his phone to update Hailey since she'd gone back to work.