6

Jay's phone started going off at an early 4:30 AM, which woke him and Hailey up.

"Why is your phone going off?"Hailey mumbled, rolling over to face him.

"Kam's meds are due." Jay sighed, rubbing his face before grabbing the pill bottle off his nightstand and heading to their daughters room.

Their daughter was sound asleep and he hated to wake her up but knew of he didn't, she'd be in pain when she did wake up.

"Hey Kam. Wake up honey" Jay whispered, gently pulling her blanket off her shoulder.

"Dadddd" she whined, trying to pull the blanket back up.

"I know honey. I just want to get your meds in you and then you can sleep again" Jay said, trying to reason with his child. The teenager just groaned and sat up, taking her medication before laying back down. Jay was exhausted, but stayed in her room and played with her hair until she fell asleep again.

As soon as Kamryn was asleep again, Jay tip toed out and quietly got back in bed with his wife.

——————

"Will you grab the creamer?" Hailey asked her husband as they were getting ready for work. "I'm gonna get Kam up. Figured she could just hang out in the break room. She'll be sleeping a lot anyway"

"Yeah, I'll let them know to leave her alone. I'm gonna head in early. I'll see you in a little bit" Jay smiled as he put the creamer in Hailey's coffee. After kissing his wife, he headed out.
Hailey quietly walked into their daughters room, sitting on her bed carefully.

"Kamryn" she whispered, starting to pull blankets off.

"Mama" she mumbled, rubbing her face as she started waking up. The meds she'd taken at 4:30 with Jay, took their toll on her. The meds she was on for pain, made her so sleepy and in turn, made it very hard to wake up.

"Come on sweetie. We're gonna have you lay down in the break room" Hailey told her, having her sit up. The sleepy teenager rubbed her face and sighed, slowly getting up.

They soon headed towards the district, heading in once Hailey parked the Jeep.

"Hey, there's the girl! How you feeling kiddo?" Kevin asked as soon as they got up there, all of them giving Kam a careful hug.

"I'm okay. Still sore and sleepy" she sighed.

"That'll get better kid. Rest up" Kim told her, also giving her a careful hug.

She nodded and went with Hailey to the break room, where Jay had a whole set up ready for her. Hailey had Kamryn lay down, smiling as she put her daughter's favorite blanket over her. She sat on the floor in front of her child and played with her hair while Kam fell asleep.

"Jay how's Kamryn?" Adam asked, everyone sitting at their desk.

"She's hanging in there. We have to wake her up for meds which is hell on all 3 of us. Hailey's in there with her trying to get her to sleep again. She won't fall asleep unless one of us is with her, either laying with her or playing with her hair." Jay explained just as Hailey came out. "She sleeping?"

"Yeah she's out. Anybody wakes her up, you're gonna have one pissed off mama to deal with" Hailey told them all. No one was getting coffee that day. 

They all kept their voices down as they worked, even Voight.

Jay or Hailey stayed at the district all day, just to keep an eye on Kamryn. They didn't want to risk her waking up terrified and not be there to calm her down. They'd thought about seeing if Trudy could keep an eye on her but didn't want to be absent if a nightmare occurred.

Everyone arrived back at the district to see Jay at his desk still, working on the computer.

"She wake up?" Hailey asked, coming over to him.

"Yeah once but not because of the nightmares, just did." He nodded, looking up at his wife.

"So no nightmares at all?"

"As of now. No"  Jay smiled as his alarm went off for Kamryn's next round of medication.

"I got it" Hailey smiled, catching the pill bottle that Jay tossed out of his desk.

She quietly pushed the break room door open to see Kamryn asleep with her phone in her hand. She'd been on her TikTok and it was now repeating the same video.

"Kamryn" she chuckled, taking her phone from her hand and turning the app off. "Come on babes. Time for medicine" she said as she carefully pulled blankets off.

"Mom why" Kam mumbled, trying to pull the blankets back up.

"Medicine honey" Hailey said as she got a water bottle and then the pill out of the container. When she looked back at Kamryn, she was sound asleep again. She sighed and put the pill back  before sticking her head out. "Jay" was all she had to say and he swiftly headed over.

"What's going on?" He asked, shutting the door behind him.

"I woke her up and got up to get water and then came back and she's out again." Hailey told him with a little worry laced in her voice.

"Okay. Okay." Jay went over to Kamryn and pulled the blankets off all the way. "Kamryn. Wake up"

She did wake up but she was very lethargic and not herself, but Jay sat her up anyway. Kamryn was very limp and very out of it, but awake.

"Kamryn. Kamryn Grace Halstead look at me" Jay said, getting Kamryn to lock eyes with him. That was all he needed to see before he picked her up and took her down to the truck.

"Hey Kim. Jay and I are leaving, somethings wrong with Kam. Tell Voight" Hailey told her, with urgency before she ran down to the truck herself.

Something was wrong and they knew it.