46

"Wh-what?! What are you doing here?!" Kam squealed, hugging onto Keith tightly.

"You sounded like you were taking it pretty rough so here we are," Keith grinned, holding onto her tightly. "We're heading to dinner after your game,"

"I can't believe you're here!" She smiled, hugging him again before the coach came for them.

"Go, I'll be in the bleachers with your parents,"

Kam nodded and headed back into the locker room while Keith went to sit in the bleachers with Hailey and Jay.

"She surprised?" Hailey asked, looking over at the teenage boy.

"Oh yeah, if her team wasn't there, she probably would've screamed," he chuckled, waiting for her team to come out.

They soon did, Kam waving at her boyfriend and parents before getting in her spot. With her small frame, she was more in the back to handle the first contact of the ball and get it to their setter, which meant she also dove a lot for it.

"Not kidding when I say, you bring out a new side to her. She was all over the place this morning and now she's playing like this morning never happened," Jay smiled, watching Kam play her favorite game.

"She's told me that she was scared of me leaving. Told her I wasn't going anywhere," he smiled, keeping his eyes on Kam as she played.

"I told her the same thing," Jay grinned, putting a hand on Hailey's knee as she watched her too.

They all saw her go down and land on her knee, but waited a few seconds for the thumbs up, even though she was taken out for a bit. Kam sat down and talked to her coach for a second, getting some Ice on her knee as she watched her team play without her.

Keith headed down to check on her, sitting on the bleacher seat behind her.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just landed hard," Kam nodded, turning to face him.

"I saw," he nodded, moving the ice to check on it, "already bruising,"

She nodded, "I figured it'd leave a nasty one. Doesn't hurt as bad but I haven't moved it,"

Her coach came over when the assistant took over the game, checking her knee and slowly moving it which made her wince.

"Hurt?"

"Yeah," she sighed, keeping the ice on it.

"Way to commit, just Ice it for a few days and we'll see if it's better,"

She nodded and looked over at Keith, finally seeming happy. "I'm really happy you came,"

"I am too. I missed you," Keith grinned, kissing her head as they watched the game.

——————

They went back to the Halstead home after the game, letting Kam get a quick shower before they'd get a quick dinner.

Jay and Hailey stayed at home, while Keith took his girlfriend out. It was a pretty low-key diner, but a good place to talk and just be themselves for a while.

"So how's Kentucky?" Kam asked, biting into her pancakes.

"It's okay. Different,"

"School?" She asked, looking at him as he took a sip of his drink.

"Good. Managed to get on the basketball team for the season,"

"I'll have to come see a game," she smiled, squeezing his hand before they finished their plates.

"I should get you home and get on the road back," he sighed, paying for their meal.

"That's all the time we have huh?"

"Unfortunately,"

She nodded and sighed, "I'll try to come see a game if I can convince my parents to let me drive 6 hours,"

"I have a feeling if they won't let you drive, they'll drive you,"

"I would hope so," she half smiled, going back out to his truck with him.

The ride home was silent, but the couple held hands the entire ride.

"I promise, I'm not going anywhere," he told her, affirming what she already knew. "That's what that ring means. It's a promise I intend to keep,"

"I know, these first few weeks were rough. Seeing you today, helped a lot,"

"Your dad set it up actually,"

"My father? Jay Halstead? Asked his daughter's boyfriend to come visit?" Kamryn asked, her mouth falling open as Keith nodded.

"Yeah, your father,"

"Oh my god," She chuckled, still in shock.

"Come on, I'll take you home,"

She nodded, smiling as she got into the truck. Keith drove her home and got out, walking her up to the door, and kissing her one last time before going back to his truck.

She opened the door with a smile and waved as Keith left their home.
Hailey was sitting in the living room with her book and a smile on her face happy to see her daughter home safe.

"How was it?" She asked

"So nice," she smiled, flopping on the couch next to her mom. "He took me to that little diner on Main. We could've talked longer but he had to get home,"

"I'm glad he could come," Hailey nodded.

"Did dad really put this all together?" She asked, looking over at Hailey.

"He did," she nodded, "He hated seeing you so heartbroken,"

"He home?"

"Upstairs," she nodded, smiling as Kam got up.

She headed up the steps, finding their parent's open door and her dad sitting on their bed.

Kamryn just beamed as she hugged her father tightly without saying a word.

"What's this?"

"Keith told me it was all you. You asked him to come," she explained, sitting on the bed now.

"You were all depressed. And you know how much that kills me,"

"Was it that bad?"

"Kam you were a puddle, and if he hadn't come today, your game wouldn't have gone as well. You haven't been yourself one bit," he nodded, pulling her into one more hug, "I love you so much,"

"I love you too dad," she grinned, holding onto him for a minute.

She went to her room a few minutes later, sighing as she sat in front of her vanity.

"I really have the best parents,"